starting strength gym

Thread: 100 lb press form check

Default 100 lb press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    43 y/o 120 lbs this morning (too much valentines candy-Boo!!!). 5th set of 3.

YouTube

Two things:
    1) You're not using your hips at all. Have you read how to do this in the book? Serious question - if you haven't, you need to, and you need to get your hips involved.
    2) Bar path: watch the bar path on the way up versus the way down. Straight line down, around your face up. This is another reason why hips are important in the press - it lets the head get out of the way of the bar. Also, you need to try to keep the bar close to your face - aim for your nose on the way up.

So brush up on that - how to use your hips, pushing hips forward, rebounding, and using that to drive the bar up and get the head out of the way.

I looked at it awhile back, but not as closely as I did the squat or clean. (My areas of focus). I will review the materials again. I have the three books.

I admit that I’ve never been good at using my hips in the other lifts i.e, clean or snatch. I always just muscled everything -which can get exhausting and has its limits. I didn’t realize I was doing it on press too. I appreciate the feedback. This was what I was hoping for. I figured there was a reason I wasn’t getting too far into the early 100s. Thank you!!!

You're doing great, and a 100# press is impressive! Hips will help but so will keeping the bar close on the way up.

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, I’ve always had more strength than skill. But I like the idea of recording these to see what the heck I’m doing wrong. This is great!