starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting to grind, missing reps on intermediate.

Default Starting to grind, missing reps on intermediate.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    No problem with the first three questions; plenty of sleep, weight increasing about 2lbs per month, 8 mins between reps.

Male 57 5'8" 156 lbs (up from 147lbs sep 2017)

Monday: squats 3x5; press/bench 3x5; DL 1x5
    Wed: squats 75% 3x3; press/bench 3x5; pull up m/c 3x8
    Fri: squats 3x5;press/bench 3x5; DL 90% 1x5

Squats @ 67.5Kg from 25Kg (seems to be going up again 5lbs per session)
    Press @ 36 Kg from 20Kg - (failed 3rd set of 5 on 2nd rep)
    Bench @ 56Kg from 20Kg (really slow bar speed now)
    DL @ 105Kg from 40Kg (struggling, but still reasonable form, but shakey on last pull)
    Chins - using -40lbs and dropping the assistance on every session.

Any advice coach ? I've bought a belt but not used it yet. I have 0.25Kg micro plates which I use on press/bench.

Not sure what else to do at this point.

This is really more of a Novice program than Intermediate, which is fine. What makes you think it's Intermediate?

If the first three questions are answered, I'd like at technique. After that - well, missing reps is part of the LP. When you miss the same weight at the same lift twice in a row, do a re-set and work back up. When it happens again, either do another re-set or end your LP there and switch to an actual Intermediate program. You can read this about some tricks to extend the LP a bit longer and implement, but that's the basic gist of it.

Link: Trying to keep LP alive

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This is really more of a Novice program than Intermediate, which is fine. What makes you think it's Intermediate?

If the first three questions are answered, I'd like at technique. After that - well, missing reps is part of the LP. When you miss the same weight at the same lift twice in a row, do a re-set and work back up. When it happens again, either do another re-set or end your LP there and switch to an actual Intermediate program. You can read this about some tricks to extend the LP a bit longer and implement, but that's the basic gist of it.

Link: Trying to keep LP alive
    Nothing particularly, it just isn't the NLP so I had thought it was something between novice and intermediate. I have reset twice already on the press I didn't count them as fails at the time and just reduced bar weight and went from there. The problems start up again once I hit 35Kg and I only just drag out the last reps of each set. Adding anything extra results in at least one or two rep failure somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd set.

Any particularly intermediate ? I have the BB prescription book which gives a plethora of options and of course the version here @ SS .

Thanks very much for your help and fast reply.

It's essentially an Advanced novice program. In any regard, Wolf is polite, I am not. You weigh 156#. You might want to fix that. Recognizing at 57 you may not want to get TOO fluffy, I think a LITTLE bit of an increase in caloric intake and protein are required here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    It's essentially an Advanced novice program. In any regard, Wolf is polite, I am not. You weigh 156#. You might want to fix that. Recognizing at 57 you may not want to get TOO fluffy, I think a LITTLE bit of an increase in caloric intake and protein are required here.
    At 57 I don't care too much about 'politeness' :-) I've been a lot fluffier in the past, but just as weak. So, what do you recommend ? I'm not shy about eating-the opposite really, but then I get lax about the quality of my eating and all kinds of delights will get thrown down my neck. I can eat for England once I'm started. Luckily, or unluckily I can't drink and avoid processed foods/bread/cakes/biscuits/chocolates.

Are you suggesting I can hack out the novice advanced I'm doing now for a bit longer if I bulk up a bit/eat more protein ? I'm on for that if it can be made to work, I had high hopes for getting the squat to 100Kg and the press to at least 40+Kg before I went intermediate.

Maybe (to your "NLP extension" question) - Part of the issue is that you only put on 9# during the run-up, when you could have been putting on more. Question that I overlooked the first go'round: Did you lose significant bodyfat during the Sept-now period? (IOW, were you using body fat as your "caloric excess" and losing fat while you added weight?

There is much nutrition info out there on how to do that end of things - Santana's forum on this site, Jordan Feigenbaum's "to be a beast" article, etc.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 02-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Maybe (to your "NLP extension" question) - Part of the issue is that you only put on 9# during the run-up, when you could have been putting on more. Question that I overlooked the first go'round: Did you lose significant bodyfat during the Sept-now period? (IOW, were you using body fat as your "caloric excess" and losing fat while you added weight?

Theere is muc nutrition info out there on how to do that end of things - Santana's forum on this site, Jordan Feigenbaum's "to be a beast" article, etc.
    Body fat increased marginally according to the BF monitor on my scales- 17 up to 19%, I haven't gained anything around the middle. Definitely more definition shoulders arms with an increase in size - subjectively.

One thing to add, I have hypertension and quit my meds last year because BP stabilised somewhat, but during training it would fall extremely low. There is some correlation between fat mass and BP so I do need to watch it to some extent.

There is also strong correlation between lower BP and heavy anaerobic exercise. People with lots of body fat tend NOT to be exercising. There seems to be the genesis of an idea here....

In any case, then clean your diet up, get a lot of protein on board, and listen to Jordan.

Theere is muc nutrition info out there on how to do that end of things - Santana's forum on this site, Jordan Feigenbaum's "to be a beast" article, etc.
    Definitely more bulk on my shoulders/chest/ arms/back-the top I bought back in September is now pretty tight all around the chest area. Put some bulk on my backside too. Likely put on quite a bit of muscle and some fat. Should have taken a before and after photo really. Are you still thinking I'm under eating/under protein at this point ?

starting strength coach development program
    There is also strong correlation between lower BP and heavy anaerobic exercise. People with lots of body fat tend NOT to be exercising. There seems to be the genesis of an idea here....

In any case, then clean your diet up, get a lot of protein on board, and listen to Jordan.
    Don't think my current diet could be any cleaner Steve. Lots of green veggies, salad, meats, fish, good fats, cheeses, milk, eggs, nuts, avocados -I don't touch junk food, or much, if any, processed food. No alcohol, sugar, biscuits, cakes, chocolates, bread. The only carbs are veggies like sweet potatoes, oats before and after training and occasionally rice.

I must get at least 150g of protein. I use a litre of full cream milk, plus 50g high quality whey protein 3 times per week. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, a big hunk of protein in the form of meat, or fish for dinner and quite a lot of high quality raw milk cheese and nuts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast