starting strength gym

Thread: squats w/range of motion limits

Default squats w/range of motion limits

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am over 70, cycle, ski, etc. and have no systemic health issues. After a recent crash and burn while skiing, am convinced need to add strength training, and will probably sign up for coacing, (live in SE New mexico). Lost dorsaflexion and some plantaflexion in left ankle 2nd to GSW's years ago in RVN. My concern is after watching & reading S.S. videos and the book, will that restriction to ROM prevent me from doing squats properly, now knowing how important form is? Thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

My suggestion is that you move from "probably" to "going to."

I understand that you have this concern, but there's really only one way to find out if you can squat or not. Not being able to actually SEE YOU, the best I can give you is "Maybe!"

This is important stuff (you actually getting stronger). You're active and relatively healthy, and are learning that even with this you're getting more fragile. You should treat this with the seriousness that ANY health matter deserves.

Get to a coach. Now.

Edit to add a further thought: With a limited ROM in an ankle, the squat as defined by SS:BBT is the one you have the best chance of being able to perform correctly, since knee travel is less in this squat than the other variants.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 02-15-2018 at 01:38 PM.

This is important stuff (you actually getting stronger). You're active and relatively healthy, and are learning that even with this you're getting more fragile. You should treat this with the seriousness that ANY health matter deserves.

Steve, the above line is epic. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I am in my 50's, active and healthy, but not taking my strength as seriously as i should after a good LP, just resting my my laurels. Sometimes I forget despite my reading the boioks and the forum that if you are not getting stronger, as a middle aged man I amm getting weaker. Sarcopenia starts a lot earlier than i would like to think. Just a classic line, simple but so meaningful.

But a question on this line. I am not seeing why this may be true. i would have guessed the opposite.
    Edit to add a further thought: With a limited ROM in an ankle, the squat as defined by SS:BBT is the one you have the best chance of being able to perform correctly, since knee travel is less in this squat than the other variants.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post

Steve, the above line is epic. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I am in my 50's, active and healthy, but not taking my strength as seriously as i should after a good LP, just resting my my laurels. Sometimes I forget despite my reading the boioks and the forum that if you are not getting stronger, as a middle aged man I amm getting weaker. Sarcopenia starts a lot earlier than i would like to think. Just a classic line, simple but so meaningful.

But a question on this line. I am not seeing why this may be true. i would have guessed the opposite.
    Edit to add a further thought: With a limited ROM in an ankle, the squat as defined by SS:BBT is the one you have the best chance of being able to perform correctly, since knee travel is less in this squat than the other variants.
    How far does the knee travel in a front squat vs a squat? A: MORE. That means more dorsiflexion of the ankle. A high bar squat is somewhere in between, which still means MORE ankle dorsiflexion than a squat.

Makes sense; will get online to sign up once I heal up from ski accident! Many thanks for the prompt reply. I was going to start anyway, then thought might be a good idea to ask for advise, which being a guy, I seldom do!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    How far does the knee travel in a front squat vs a squat? A: MORE. That means more dorsiflexion of the ankle. A high bar squat is somewhere in between, which still means MORE ankle dorsiflexion than a squat.
    My bad Steve. Did not think of a front squat, thought the comparison was to a high bar back squat. Likely due to the fact that I never front squat. Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    My bad Steve. Did not think of a front squat, thought the comparison was to a high bar back squat. Likely due to the fact that I never front squat. Thank you.
    As I said, even a HBBS had more knee travel that. Squat. This is clearly illustrated in SS:BBT.