starting strength gym

Thread: Prior surgery impacting progression past advanced novice stage?

Default Prior surgery impacting progression past advanced novice stage?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background. I am 26, 5'7, 200lbs. I have always lifted weights, but I just began Starting Strength in November. I read Practical Programming and I'm currently milking the last bit of LP. Here are my current stats in pounds:

Squats: 335x3x5

Bench: 225x3x5

Press:135x3x5 (was having forms issues so I did a reset)

Dead 375x1x5

Before I transition to intermediate programming I want to know if I should include any accessory work to compensate for the following surgery. I broke the bottom of my right fibula and my talus about 8 years ago. I have quite a few pins and screws still in there. My entire range of motion for that ankle is severely limited, especially when I try to raise my toes up towards my shin. I also have noticed that my calve muscles in that leg are substantially weaker than in my left leg. The injury hasn't seemed to hinder my progress so far, but I have noticed that my ankle has been a bit more sore that usual.

Should I begin to incorporate some accessory work to preemptively address any issues that might arise as I lift heavier?

In the absence of any pain or dysfunction, I would continue merrily along. If, however, you would like calves more like Comrade Wolf, I will not tell anyone if you do some calf raises now and again. All kidding aside, if your surgery has not bothered you thus far, or meaningfully limited you, I would not think about it, nor do anything differently than what you have done.

Thanks for the advice!