starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check(especially DEPTH, KNEE)

Default Squat form check(especially DEPTH, KNEE)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, coaches!

This is 92.5kg X 5, my last set today.(Body Weight: 72kg, Age: 30)
    204lbs 160lbs
    I think I couldn't hit proper depth at this set.(Felt heavy to hit the depth)

I want to know it's okay or it's a bit high. Or do I need to deload?

And I followed "knees forward cue"(at start of descent). But are my knees a bit too much forward or still okay?

YouTube

Thank you for all your times. It means a lot to me.

I just become a verified user by Dr. Stef.

Can I still be coached with this post?

Sure!

First, please read the sticky at the top of the forum - specifically the parts about how to film form checks. The angle in this video is not ideal, but, we can still see some basic errors.

First, these are high-bar squats. You need to move the bar further down your back. Here’s a helpful video from Rip:

The Squat - Bar Position

Once you’ve gotten the bar into the correct position, and as you start to descend, BEND OVER more. Note in the video how far your knees are going forward (which is typical of a high-bar squat). Moving the bar down your back to the proper position will force / help / require you to BEND OVER. This will have the effect of not allowing your knees to travel so far in front of your toes.

On the way back up, you need to think about your hips and DRIVING YOUR HIPS up. Not the bar - YOUR HIPS. Don’t think about anything else - just your hips. Drive them up.

Finally, while you’re doing all of this, you need to keep the bar over the middle of your foot. Watch your video again, and note how much ricking around your feet are doing, and also note the bar path - it’s not a straight vertical line. The bar, ideally, should travel straight down and then back up in a vertical line over the middle of your foot. So concentrate on keeping all of your weight there while you squat (in other words, stay balanced over the middle of your foot), so that you’re not shifting around for the whole rep. Your weight stays over the middle of your foot + bar stays in a vertical line over the middle of the foot = IN BALANCE.

Work on that for a while then post another video.