starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (2nd)

Default Squat form check (2nd)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted a squat form check a few months ago and Tom was kind enough to point out that my stance was too narrow, I was descending too quickly, I wasn't getting to depth and that I should keep my chin down.

Here is my latest attempt:

As far as I can see:
    * My stance is wide enough
    * I'm descending slower, but perhaps still a bit too quickly (it feels slow at the time, of course)
    * They're all deep enough, except maybe the last rep.
    * My chin creeps up when the weight really starts to grind (even though my eyes are fixed on the bottom of the squat rack in front of me).

How am I doing? Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

In addition:
    * The reason the weight hasn't increased more since November, both on the bar and on my body, is because I had to take a few weeks off due to injury and a work trip.
    * The thumb problem I previously mentioned has gone away.

These are pretty good. However, depth is hard to judge when you wear black or other really dark colors, which is why we caution against doing so in the sticky. I'd like to see your knees get forward a little earlier in the rep so that the bottom is more of a "sit back / bend over" motion. Your descent speed is fine, but you're letting it increase at the bottom, think about keeping it steady. On your head, think "drive my head DOWN on the way UP" and it will help both keep your head down and resurrect your hip drive. Finally, stance width is fine, but you need to get your knees out harder - they are inside your toes at the bottom.