starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently just started doing low bar. My left wrist is little bit bent back due to flexibility issues with my shoulders.
    Also I dialed back the weight a bit so I could focus on form. Also I have a tendency to raise my heels, so I am lifting my toes a bit to stay over heel.

These are all high, and most don’t exhibit any hip drive at all - they look like front squats.

So, get your knees out harder - chose them out hard, right from the start, and keep doing so, all the way to the bottom. Second, bend over right from the start, and once you hit the bottom, drive your HIPS up. Don’t worry about standing up - just keep driving your hips up all the way to the top. On balance, you need to quickly drop the “weight on heels” idea, and move to “weight on midfoot,” which is where it belongs. Put it there, keep it there. As far as your wrists go, drop your elbows a bit. We see this a lot lately - elbows lifted too high, which interferes with the ability to keep the wrists straight and the hands in close to the shoulders.

Finally, please read (or read again for the first time) the sticky on videoing form checks - we specifically ask that you not wear black or other really dark colors as it interferes (or makes impossible) our ability to clearly see important stuff we need to see.