starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear coaches,

This is my first form check here. Would appreciate if you could look into it

I'm squatting 100kg, this is my 3rd set of 5s.

YouTube

Sorry for wearing black, and the angle might be a bit too high I will correct that on my second attempt.

Things I personally would criticize:

* Wrist flexion - I'm still not sure why I do that. On the setup, I actually think about having slight wrist extension, but they always end up in a flexed position.

* Spinal flexion - Especially in the upper back, when coming out of the whole.

* Hip drive - Could be a bit more enthusiastic.

But I'm sure there's much more wrong with it

Best regards and thank you!
    Philipp

P.S.: Something completely different: Would you guys recommend getting an SS Coach while cutting? I got a bit too chubby over the winter and want to lose some weight (while keeping my strength, ideally). Not sure if I'd just waste my money, since I can't get stronger now :/

Yup, you do need to work on a tighter back, and a belt will help (as will a deeper breath, that you've squeezed down on really hard), so get one. More importantly, you need to let your knees get a little farther forward, and get them there earlier in the rep. Your hips drive is ok on the later reps. Instead, worry about your head position - keep your head DOWN on the way UP.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    More importantly, you need to let your knees get a little farther forward, and get them there earlier in the rep.
    Thank you, this has helped so much!! Using my legs more is a game canger for me. I was too obsessed with sitting back. Now I kind of even it out, and it works way better!
    It even fixed my rounded back a little, because I'm staying more over the center of my body now (before that I needed to round my back to not fall on my butt).

Here's my new version of the Squat:

Still far from perfect, but much better imo.

I think I should push my knees out more. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
    This forum is a goldmine for strength training.

Pretty good! Note how on the descent of the first two reps everything is moving forward - bar, and lifter. In addition to moving the knees forward quicker, you have to bend over more, keeping the bar in a slot over the midfoot. (This is the Master Cue). Keep working on your head - you're still trying to pick it up. Do whatever you did to fix it this much a little more. Hip drive is a little lacking on the first rep but you get that sorted by rep 2, and you'll note on Rep 1 it's because your chest is following your head as you try to lift it. Still, your back is soft, and once again, I recommend you acquire a belt. Finally, a deep breath doesn't just involve shrugging your shoulders up to get a little more air in - make your chest expand, hugely, and your diaphragm expand your abdomen. A HUGE deep breath. That and a belt and you back will hold together better.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-04-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks again, I will take your advice into account!
    I probably won't be able to incorporate all of that in the next session. It will be incremental, but I'll post an update once I think I somehow got it

Regarding the belt: You mentioned it two times now, so I have to address this.

I have a belt, a pretty good one, but I can't use it cause it hurts...
    It pinches my fat around my waist every time I bend over. I can't even deadlift with it!

So I'm either doing something extremely wrong, or I just have the wrong belt (Rogue Ohio Lifting Belt - Weightlifting - Vegetable Tanned Leather | Rogue Europe)
    I tried lots of variations of course, putting it on higher, lower, tighter, looser, etc.
    Always hurting.

BR,
    Philipp

starting strength coach development program
    You're probably using the belt wrong. I was far "fluffier" than you, no pinching.