starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form

Default Squat form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here is my 2nd set at 260, just after a reset. I am hoping to improve my own evaluation of my videos, so let me tell you what I see and then you correct me please. Thank you for your time on this forum:

IMG_6643 on Vimeo

Rep 1- looks pretty good to me, depth just barely below parallel.

Rep 2- just a bit high

Rep 3- terrible- high, bar moves forward an gets the weight on my toes.

Rep 4-similar to 2, maybe a bit high

Rep 5- high

The only other thing I notice is my butt moves left out of the hole on every rep. Is there a need to work on this? I am totally unaware of it while I'm squatting.

What am I seeing incorrectly and/or not noticing? Thanks again- just watching others and reading through this forum has helped tremendously.

I don't disagree with your assessment on the depth, except that rep 1 is also high. Borderline, but high. The video is a little lacking in size, we recommend posting to YouTube as it results in better viewing options.

The reason the bar gets forward on rep 3 is that your back angle is not maintained out of the hole. Make sure you make the chest keep up with the hips. Your back also looks a little soft - huge, deep breath and squeeze on it - hard. Lock the back in extension hard while doing this, then squat.

Also, you're lifting your head up on the way up - Don't! Keep your head down on the way up. Lifting the head tends to take the chest with it, killing hip drive.

Finally, your depth issues could be related to a couple of things, but I can't tell which due to the size of the video. Could be stance width - a stance that is too wide will keep you from getting knees out fully, and make everything too tight to get to proper depth. Could be failure to get knees all the way out. Could be you just don't finish the rep - You get your knees forward, but you never really do much sitting back / bending over after that. Need a better quality video.

Here is a new video using youtube- hopefully the quality is better than with vimeo. This is from last night @265#. The depth looks better to me on these, with the exception of rep #3. I'm not sure why that one always seems to be my worst. I am still struggling keeping my head down through the ascent. I feel like when I lift it I maintain better back extension/stiffness. Are there any cues I can use to try to correct this? Any other general tips? Thanks again for your input.

YouTube

I can't see the video. YouTube says it's "Unavialable." This is usually due to permissions settings.

YouTube

Hopefully this works- sorry. I am technologically challenged.

First, these are all high. You're not getting your knees out hard enough, they are not tracking your toes. Quit picking up your head on the way up, your chest is following it, and it's killing your hip drive. Third, You need to keep your back firm on the way up - you're losing extension and it usually happens when you pick up your head. Big, huge, deep breath, set your back, squeeze down on the breath you took HARD, lock your back in place.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you again- I will work on those things and check back in after a few sessions.