starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Stall-out

Default Press Stall-out

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 230 - still gaining about 2lbs a week.
    Bench: 252.5 3x5
    Press 1.0: 172.5 3x5

Just a quick question here... I'm still on the novice LP for bench and press. Currently my bench has plenty of room to run, but my last pressing session was brutal. I very nearly missed the last grinding rep on all 3 sets, resting like 7min between sets. I managed to get them all, but if a pube had landed on the bar I would have missed. Part of it is technique of course, as late in the set the bar wants to get out away from me on the way down.

So my options as I see them are this:
    A. Drop down to 3x3 on the press, keep 3x5 on bench, and maintain the A/B bench/press rotation
    B. Fix my programing at Bench 3x5 / Press 3x3 / Bench 3x5 every week
    C. Press 175 1x5, then 2x5 -5% on Friday and if I miss then reset 5%

Lastly - Why is the press drop down in the advanced novice 3x3 rather than 5x3? At 172.5, the first 3 reps felt pretty manageable.

Thanks

I need to look at the book again. I would try 5x3 first, not 3x3. There is a volumetric component to the stress that is also required.

What increment are you using?

The book says 3x3, but that seems kind of low.

I press in kilos, bench in pounds. Going up in 1kg increments on the press, 2.5lbs on bench. That's just how the gym's plates are set up.

I’ve always wondered that too. When my press stalled as an advanced novice I went to 3x3 which gave me about a pound and a half more spread out over 3 sessions or so. Only then did I read something by Andy Baker talking about how 3x3 wasn’t enough volume.

I don’t know how much more 5x3 would have given me but in hindsight I wish I would have just switched to intermediate programming sooner. I was fucking beat.

The thought is that you're trying to draw the NLP out as long as possible through the recognition that the stress being applied (3x5) may be to great to be adapted to by the next workout. Since stress is a factor of both volume AND applied force (weight on the bar), one of these two variables has to change, slightly. It's like trying to draw a pre-meet peak out over as many workouts as possible. Note that the book states that this will not last long. At that point, the press is going to have to either increase at a smaller increment, or move to an intermediate progression.

Thanks Steve. I'm going to try 5x3 first, then drop down to 3x3 if needed. One thing I realized is that my press is a fairly high percentage of my bench (67%). I hit 255 for 3x5 Wednesday night pretty easily, so there should be plenty more room to run there.

I imagine that as my bench catches up that would help drive my press up a little bit further.

Sure. And you are correct that the bench press will drive the press. What increment are you using on the press (should have asked that initially)?

+1kg on the press per workout

Might want to cut that. Might want to try a system I heard from Campitelli: GO up 1# / workout on the week you press 2x, and 2# on the week you press once. Adjust as needed for meticocity.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Might want to cut that. Might want to try a system I heard from Campitelli: GO up 1# / workout on the week you press 2x, and 2# on the week you press once. Adjust as needed for meticocity.
    I remember he told me once that he would go up 1 lb on the weeks where he pressed once, and then .5 lbs each workout on the weeks he pressed twice. I’m not trying to be that know it all asshole but if I’m succeeding I apologize Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast