starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder addiction on bench

Default Shoulder addiction on bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

I’m having a ton of trouble keeping my right scapula adducted during the bench. It leaves me feeling super weak on that side and thus imbalanced.

What are your experiences in working with this?

Regards,

Al

Shoulder addiction is a serious problem. You should speak to a mental health professional, STAT!!!

Man, that's two posts of your in a row which I originally replied to in a humorous rather than serious manner. Asshole or funny-guy, only YOU can decide!

Ok, seriously: I've found this is both 1) a common issue (not unilaterally, but general inability to keep scapulae retracted) and 2) easier to fix with visual and tactile cues than most things, which we obviously can't do here. But we'll try our best.

Think of pinching a pencil between your shoulder blades. You get into that posture before you even unrack the bar, and then HOLD it there throughout the set. Even when you lock reps out or unrack the bar - ONLY YOUR ARMS STRAIGHTEN OUT. Your elbows straighten but your shoulders stay sucked back into their sockets, and you keep pinching that pencil between your shoulder blades.

Remember, as Master Lifting Coach Jerry Seinfeld taught us: the key isn't just the taking, it's the HOLDING.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Shoulder addiction is a serious problem. You should speak to a mental health professional, STAT!!!

Man, that's two posts of your in a row which I originally replied to in a humorous rather than serious manner. Asshole or funny-guy, only YOU can decide!

Ok, seriously: I've found this is both 1) a common issue (not unilaterally, but general inability to keep scapulae retracted) and 2) easier to fix with visual and tactile cues than most things, which we obviously can't do here. But we'll try our best.

Think of pinching a pencil between your shoulder blades. You get into that posture before you even unrack the bar, and then HOLD it there throughout the set. Even when you lock reps out or unrack the bar - ONLY YOUR ARMS STRAIGHTEN OUT. Your elbows straighten but your shoulders stay sucked back into their sockets, and you keep pinching that pencil between your shoulder blades.

Remember, as Master Lifting Coach Jerry Seinfeld taught us: the key isn't just the taking, it's the HOLDING.

Oh shit. Auto correct. Dammit.

I bench tomorrow so I’ll try your suggestion and report back on this thread.

Thanks again!