starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean form check

Default Power Clean form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,
    Can you please help me figure out what is going wrong with these Power cleans. I know it looks pretty ugly, but can't figure out what and how to fix.

Thanks.

Biggest thing I see is that you have an arm-pull going on. Slow the video down and watch. Your hips / knees / ankles aren't event extended fully and your arms are already bent. This absolutely kills the amount of force (or more appropriately, impulse) going into the bar. So. the usual cues for this are: hard internal rotation of the elbows, think about locking out your triceps, push down on the bar as you jump, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Biggest thing I see is that you have an arm-pull going on.
    Hi Steve, thanks for the feed-back. Is this one better?

Also is my grip width fine?

Thanks again.

Well, it’s a binary, so no. Still an arm-pull here. I didn't see you internally rotate your elbows HARD to lock them down. Your elbows are bent already as the bar is passing your knees.

What I usually do is tell my trainees to actively push down on the bar until they land after the jump (this is an over-cue). Worst case scenario is they feel the bar slam UP into their hands and they miss the rack, but they did a powerful jump with their arms locked out. Then we work on timing by thinking about JUMP——>RACK while still trying to hold the bar down.

Arm-pulls are nasty, difficult things to fix (personal experience here with my own) that benefit from in-person coaching. That’s because you just did 15 rep (plus your warm-ups) *wrong*, thinking that you *might* be correcting it, and you drill that pattern into your head, whereas an in-person coach will be working on fixing it each rep.

Other thing I see here is a very, very casual set-up. There’s a 5-step set-up process for a pull from the floor, and #4 is being skipped here. (See the sticky for a link to the set-up method if you’re unfamiliar)
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-27-2018 at 09:16 AM.