starting strength gym

Thread: Squiat Form Check

Default Squiat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello guys,

i would be happy if you could comment on my form.

General information:

I started with SS/LP in Dec and currently at around 100 Kg and 178 cm heigth. I got a strong kyphosis and thats about it.

After my last set, the pain in my left elbow/bicep/shoulder was so intense that i could not perform the military press after.
    By seeing the video myself i could think that the hand is maybe too flexed-
    Also i think i should keep my head more down down.

YouTube

Cheers

1) Read the post at the top of this forum (AKA, "The Sticky") on filming form checks. This is not a great video. Taking video in the mirror is not helpful.
    2) The squats themselves are all high, by at least 2". Your stance is too wide. Narrow it a couple inches, and then get your knees out hard.
    3) Bend over right more, starting right as you start the squat. Point your chest at the floor.
    4) Don't look in the mirror. Keep your head down, and look at the floor 4-5' in front of you.
    5) Hard to tell from this distance / angle, but the bar may be a bit low down your back, and your elbows are lifted too much.
    6) Read the sticky, and don't post twice.

Hey,

yes sorry for posting twice!
    I agree, the video has been suboptimal. Next time i upload a vid where the the sight is kept at the 45° angle.

Today I actually could not film, have worn a black shirt anyways, but I tried to integrate each of your points made. As well i think the bar was too low, with a new cue my shoulder/elbow pain didnt flaire up this time which was really great.

But I had a really big problem with 3) and could not perform a single set.
    At first i tried 100, then 90, then 80, then several sets of 60.
    I think the best video refering to this was this:
    YouTube

I tried to bend over right when i descended, pointing the nipples at the floor. This ended up with my lower back feeling stretched/"pulled", I even had a really burning sensation in my left lower back.
    For what i can tell, the weight got shifted very much on my toes. Is this a kind of common thing to occur when trying to bend over more?
    I was not able to point my chest to the floor, while keeping the weight over midfoot.
    Is there a (mental) cue for correcting this?

We need to see a video of YOU.

On the "on your toes" issue, yes: Keep the weight on the middle of your foot.

It really is that simple.

Hey

YouTube

I tried this today and it felt really heavy. Made 5/4/4, think I should go down to 90Kg.

These are still slightly high, and have no hip drive. You need to drive your hips up FIRST out of the bottom, and keep driving them up all the way to the top. Also, do not pause at the bottom. Bounce out of the bottom, just go deeper before you do so. Try narrowing your stance an inch or so. This will let you drive your knees out better.

Hey!

So i tried to work on my squat.
    Im still not sure about debt, maybe because the angle is not optimal(or im just not deep enough). Even closer stance?
    The last two reps felt the best of the whole session

YouTube

Also i got completely rid off the pain in my shoulder now, the bar was still too low. Maybe the setup is better visibile now.
    I kinda had the feeling that my knees are "swingin", but overall no pain/smooth training..

These are still slightly high, and have no hip drive. You need to drive your hips up FIRST out of the bottom, and keep driving them up all the way to the top. Also, do not pause at the bottom. Bounce out of the bottom, just go deeper before you do so.

I repeat myself because it's like you totally ignored it.

You also need to bend over more, right at the start. As you say, point your nipples at the floor.

At this point it's incumbent upon you to figure out a way to do this. I would suggest that you find other squat videos in this forum that we have said look good, and make yours look more like those, since my explanations of what you are doing wrong, and how you fix it, are not working.

Again:
    1) Bend over. We're serious about this. Right from the start of the rep, you need to bend more than you are.
    2) Knees out, hard, and go deep.
    3) DRIVE YOUR HIPS UP OUT OF THE BOTTOM. Not the bar, not your chest. YOUR HIPS.

This is all explained in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd ed. Which you may wish to peruse further.

So go do your research, watch the videos, and don't post another set for a few weeks. But when you do, show us that you are at least *trying* to embody some of the instruction we are giving you here. This forum is for (generally) one- or two-off form checks. It's not meant as a service to keep working with you until you fix your lifts. That is coaching, and if you need a coach, you need to go out and get a coach.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-30-2018 at 08:57 AM.