starting strength gym

Thread: Are IPF-approved belts worth the money?

Default Are IPF-approved belts worth the money?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I’m at the stage now where I need a belt and my gym only has a crappy Myprotein bodybuilding-style one.

I was browsing online and I noticed that IPF-approved belts seem to be way more expensive. Is this actually because of superior quality, or is it just because the IPF approves certain brands so the manufacturers charge you more for the privilege of being able to use it at their events?

I would like to compete at some point down the line, but right now I just want a training aid.

"Are IPF-approved belts worth the money?"

Only if you are going to compete in the IPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    I was browsing online and I noticed that IPF-approved belts seem to be way more expensive. Is this actually because of superior quality, or is it just because the IPF approves certain brands so the manufacturers charge you more for the privilege of being able to use it at their events?
    What belts are you looking at? If you're more specific, we may be able to advise if costs are related to differences in construction vs meeting the IPF specifications and propose lower cost subs if they are available for the type you are interested in.

Cheers for responses guys.

I have seen belts like this Strength Shop 13mm Double Prong Buckle Belt that cost £30-50, whereas the ones on the IPF-approved list start at around £90 and go upwards of £100. Any recommendations?

I doubt any one of the staff will have a recommendation beyond what we've already recommended in other threads, or for this belt in particular, but it's a 13mm x 4" wide belt, and if it is of the quality shown in the picture, should be fine.

Thanks all.

First, don't get a double-prong belt. Unless you've just got a strong personal preference for them, they're just more annoying to get on and off than a single prong or lever belt.

Second, if you want to know the difference between most of the top belts, here's a good video that goes into some depth on them. Worth the watch, in my opinion, though you may want to speed up the video.

I actually prefer a double prong in a 4" belt. 3" and narrower, it's a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I actually prefer a double prong in a 4" belt.
    Why's that? Technically, it does even out the pressure, but that's the only advantage I can think of off-hand, and I've never even noticed that effect.

starting strength coach development program
    Feels more secure / rigid. I can under-tighten one prong or the other to make the top / bottom of the belt a little looser. It just feels more secure when fully tight. Probably a placebo, which is why I used "prefer." I don't really see an issue with the annoyance with getting both prongs to buckle. YMMV!