starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form Check Request

Default DL Form Check Request

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SS Coaches:

Thanks, again, for taking your time to do this.

46YO male. 177lbs, 5'11". I'm about 2 months into my NLP, but had to reset a few weeks ago. This is my highest DL @ 245lb. I'm reaching weights that are really starting to challenge my form. Watching this set, I'm concerned that my hips might be too high relative to my chest/shoulders after I set my back in step 4 (just based on what I've seen of other folks executing their DL with good form) , but I'm being overly careful to get my shins 1" from the bar in step 1. Curious if you guys think it's just my anthropometry or is there something I need to correct in my form.

YouTube

Much Appreciated,

Ben Shugart

A couple of things --

1) The video quality leaves much to be desired, and you wore black, which makes it more difficult.
    2) Looking at your shin angle, you are a little too close to the bar - back up 1/4". Perception of 1" from the bar, from above, can be iffy. Gold standard is to have someone look down the bar directly from the side and make sure that the bar cuts the foot in half.
    3) You appear to be on your toes - rock back towards your heels.
    4) You're pulling the bar around your knees a bit. Use a little more knee extension at the beginning of the lift.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve.