starting strength gym

Thread: Continue with 1X3 DL on ID or reset for more volume?

Default Continue with 1X3 DL on ID or reset for more volume?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Training Log includes my details.

When Deadlift started to stall out for 5 reps on Intensity Day, I switched to 1X3. After consulting texts, posts, stone tablets, etc., that appears to have been a mistake and I should have gone to 2X3 to keep the volume comparable. Should I continue to run 1X3 (I'm oh-so-close to a 405 pull), or would a reset be more profitable, and if so, what should I reset to?

Video below of last 1X3 (ties previous PR) starts about 00:17. Had to reset after 2nd rep because the bar was shifting into different divots on the platform:

I appreciate any advice.

Your training log does not contain enough detail. Please update your post with *pertinent* information - don't be windy. What day are you doing DLs on. How often. What are your other lifts currently. What weight did 5's stall out at. How long have you been doing a single set of 3's.

Please note you're not going to get a form check out of this if A) you can't post a video without copyrighted stuff in in (even if it's a killer song) and we can't see the video (*which we can't*) and B) you're not a verified user.

You are correct that it was a mistake: and either way you go, there's going to be a payment for that. Either now in the form of a reset, or very soon when a single set of 3's stops driving progress. And we don't know when that will be. Not knowing any other info, I'd go with the known, and back off 15#, and re-establish with more volume, since that will drive progress longer.

Apologies. Didn't realize it would block you from seeing the video. Wasn't looking for form check, just wanted you to see how slow/fast the set was in case that was helpful.

It won't let me edit the previous post, so I will address here.

Updated the intro to my training log.

Specific to DL:
    My best set of 1X5 is 365

Current DL Programming:
    Monday - 2X5 @ 80% of previous ID
    Wednesday - BW Chins X more total reps than last week
    Friday - 1X3 @ last week +5 lbs.

Please, let me know if your above recommendation stands, or if you advise something different/additional. Hopefully, I've given you what you asked for. No matter what, I appreciate your time.

Sorry! Forgot to address one thing: I've been doing single sets of 3's for about 4 weeks. At the end of my last LP run, I stalled out at 370X4.

So no, haven't really changed my opinion. However, woulda - coulda - shoulda, perhaps DL'in every other session heavy would have been the way to go (listen to Barbell Logic Podcast 17). But yeah, should have been 2 sets of three. Problem with trying to jump to 2 sets now is that Friday volume is going to go up precipitously. There would need to be a concomitant reduction in weight. With programming, conservative is usually* better.

*I'm an engineer, I'm almost incapable of using a definitive statement.

Appreciate the response. I'll just go ahead with the 15# reduction now. I'll go back and listen to that episode of the podcast again. Thanks for the assist.

Steve,
    As a hypothetical exercise in programming, would it make sense to try to keep driving progress on the triple by adding, say, a back-off set of five to the end? Even if it perhaps is not the best approach to drive long-term progress, there might be something to be said for its helping to drive enough short-term progress for a 405 triple, which would certainly be a cool milestone.

Maybe. But it’s going to depend on the ability of the lifer to recover from a stress (added volume) that he has not been training for. Since volume is a factor of both number of repetitions and weight (i.e., tonnage), and the lifter in question hasn’t been getting much of that, to add in tonnage now could be detrimental.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    Steve,
    As a hypothetical exercise in programming, would it make sense to try to keep driving progress on the triple by adding, say, a back-off set of five to the end? Even if it perhaps is not the best approach to drive long-term progress, there might be something to be said for its helping to drive enough short-term progress for a 405 triple, which would certainly be a cool milestone.
    Appreciate the thought, Charles. I actually did back-off sets of 3 when I was using various back-alley hacks to try and run out the LP this last time through. The back-offs seemed to work okay. When I switched over to OMTM, I wanted to try to go chalk with it as much as possible from the start so that I'd have better sight-lines as to what is working and what isn't. I went ahead and did the recommended reset last week. It actually didn't go very well, but I'm going to take a run at the same weight again this week.