starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches,

Checking to see if you notice improvement in my squat form from my last post. That post is here:

https://startingstrength.com/resourc...orm-check.html

Here's my latest attempt @ 195lb (3rd set of 5). Really trying to concentrate on nipples down, knees out and hip drive, but notice that my knees still slid a couple times in this set.

YouTube

Thank you for your critique.

Ben Shugart

1) Bend over more, right from the start
    2) Use better / more hip drive. Note reps 1 and 3, you are leading with your chest, reps 2, 4 and 5 show hip drive properly.
    3) You're overextending your lumbar spine at the start of each rep. Stand normally, Take a deep breath, and lock your back in normal anatomical extension (which means stand normally).
    4) Get the bar in your hands. Drop your elbows a bit, try to get your hands a closer.

I'm also starting to have the opinion that white shirts are just as bad as black clothing for form checks.

Thanks, Steve. Agree with the white shirt comment. Will go grey next time. Any advice on how to correct the lumbar extension? When I correct for it I feel as if I’m forcing lumbar flexion (I know I’m not, but that’s the sensation it produces).

Easiest way (and it’s not easy without a coach to cue it and watch every single rep) is to stand normally. Then, huge breath and lock everything in place and reinforce with a hard valsalva. Concentrate on not letting the back move. Since this frequently exhibits itself on the way up you have to also concentrate then on keeping your nipples pointed at the floor on the way up.

I see this issue a lot in women and flexible men.