starting strength gym

Thread: Is this what the HLM version should look like?

Default Is this what the HLM version should look like?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm currently on Phase 3 of SS and am starting to feel the weight I'm squatting (281lbs/127.5kg) is getting too much for 3 times a week. My progression is starting to slow down as well- if I achieve 3x5 with a certain weight, I can't always complete the 3x5 with 5 more lbs the next workout. I'm also struggling to overhead press 140 lbs for the full 3x5 even though I've built up to it.
    I was told the Heavy, Light, Medium day should be like this-

Heavy Day
    3x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench
    1x5 Deadlift

Light Day
    3x5 Front Squats
    5x5 Press
    Chin ups

Medium Day
    3x10 Squat
    3x8 CG Bench
    3x3 Deadlift

Does that look good?

I think you need to simplify, and you need to not do so many squat / pulling reps on your medium day. Perhaps a review of Andy's 3-part article on the topic will help:

Simplifying the Heavy Light Medium System - Part 1: Introduction & Squats - Baker Strength Coaching

Also check out Andy's YouTube channel where he has a lot of good info on HLM.

There is no need for front squats now. Later, if you decide to focus more on Olympic Lofting, sure. Typically (except for the older crowd), the HLM squat looks like;
    Day 1: Squat 5x5
    Day 2: Squat 3x5 at 80%
    Day 3: Squat 4x5 at 90%

However, there are various permutations of this depending on particular circumstances going on with your lifting and life in general. Deadlifts are typically laid out like:
    Day 1: Deadlift 3x5
    Day 2: Barbell Row of chin-up
    Day 3: Deadlift 1x5 Heavy

The press/bench press can be done as you have it. I can get even more complicated later on when you structure it with a HLM of each of the various lifts on each day, so there is n o longer an actual Heavy, Light or Medium day.

I said all of this to support Steve Hill's recommendation that you review some of Andy Baker's articles on the HLM subject which are well written with plenty of examples. Make sure you really need to move on to intermediate programming first.

All you may need now is to insert a light squat day in the middle of the week and change the set/rep scheme for presses to 5 sets of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Winfrey View Post
    I said all of this to support Steve Hill's recommendation that you review some of Andy Baker's articles on the HLM subject which are well written with plenty of examples. Make sure you really need to move on to intermediate programming first.

All you may need now is to insert a light squat day in the middle of the week and change the set/rep scheme for presses to 5 sets of 3.
    So as of next week should I simply try making the middle workout a lighter day in terms of squats? And still doing Phase 3? How much lighter and for more reps?
    I'm currently squatting 275 lbs (I had to deload since asking the original question) and expect to do 280 lbs next worlout, benching 209 lbs and deadlifting 300 lbs (again due to deloading), but I don't know if I'm ready for intermediate programming.
    I will change the scheme of the press if that'll help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    So as of next week should I simply try making the middle workout a lighter day in terms of squats? And still doing Phase 3? How much lighter and for more reps?
    I'm currently squatting 275 lbs (I had to deload since asking the original question) and expect to do 280 lbs next worlout, benching 209 lbs and deadlifting 300 lbs (again due to deloading), but I don't know if I'm ready for intermediate programming.
    I will change the scheme of the press if that'll help.
    From the "Getting Started / Programs" page:

At this point you’ve become strong enough to pull enough weight that we limit deadlift and cleaning frequency. Each is alternated on Day A, while chin-ups are performed on Day B. So if you deadlift on Monday, you’ll do chins on Wednesday, power cleans Friday, chins (or weighted chins, see General Notes above) on Monday, and deadlift again Wednesday. This allows adequate recovery.Phase 3 is also often where people often need to begin micro-load their pressing movements and cleans, adding weight in 2.5lb or smaller increments to continue linear progress.
    Finally, Phase 3 is also often where people reach the “Advanced Novice” stage, and add weight to their squats only twice per week (i.e. Monday and Friday), while using Wednesday as a lighter recovery day for squats.