starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting alternative during injury

Default Lifting alternative during injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've suffered am abdominal strain but would like to keep up some activity support my big 3 lifts. Any suggestions?

Lighter squats, deadlifts, presses, and bench presses. As light as it takes for you to be able to do them right now, and then progressively heavier bit by bit as the recovery of the strain allows, so it heals within the context that it'll be used to lift heavy again. If you want to throw in some extra isolation work that doesn't exacerbate the existing issue, while your main lifts are artificially light due to the strain, I don't see a problem with that.

I will agree with Wolf here. But I would like to know what you were doing when you incurred said strain?

Would you guys recommend adding extra sets to increase volume? For example your working sets are supposed to be 3x5 at 300, but you can only do 200 w/o pain. Would 5x5 be reasonable? Or even more sets?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Would you guys recommend adding extra sets to increase volume? For example your working sets are supposed to be 3x5 at 300, but you can only do 200 w/o pain. Would 5x5 be reasonable? Or even more sets?
    Possibly - circumstance dependent, but if the OP can handle enough weight / % to make it worthwhile, but not so much that he can still run an intensity-driven LP, then it might make sense as a situational intermediate/advanced trainee-ish type deal.