starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Certification and coaching in retirement

Default Starting Strength Certification and coaching in retirement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi folks,

I am a 65 year old high school teacher and cross country coach who is planning to retire in two years. I have recently started the SS program and am very impressed with every aspect of the platform. Since my better half won't let me "retire" when I leave the school system, I am looking for some other activity to keep me going, generate some supplemental income and especially help other people improve their lives mentally and physically.

I was wondering if it is even feasible and practical to consider getting certified as a SS coach in my late 60's. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Best Regards

Chad Brosius

If you possess the sufficient work ethic and are willing to develop the skill-set, sure. And my guess is there is a lot of business out there for a 60-something coach in FL who wants to focus on the older population, like what Sully is doing in Detroit. We are developing some tools to help potential coaches have a better chance of passing. Without any help other than the books and articles and videos we put out, if you've just started the program you'll probably need 9-15 months of study and practice - assuming you have at least a few people to coach, attending a seminar without trying to pass as a coach, another 9-15 months of study and practice, and then you may have a chance when you come back to a seminar again. If you can intern directly under an SS, maybe you can cut time that by 1/3 to 1/2. Our educational pipeline is still in the works, but that may be another way to cut the time a little.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 04-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Chad,

Yes, we could use you among our group. The aging population really needs our services. Leading by example is one of the best ways to sell the idea among the skeptical. I was an endurance athlete for 20 years during my military days and switched over to strength training and eventually barbell only training through Starting Strength with some moderate conditioning when I feel like it. I have been an SS coach since Jan 2012 and really enjoy being a coach in my mid 50's. I agree with Wolf's projections about getting the credential. Start now, and you may be able to have it by the time you are ready to retire. You are already a teacher, so the communication part will probably come easy. Learning the program, using the program, understanding it, the human body, applying it to others with various problems will take some time.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the encouraging responses. This definitely gives me some goals to shoot for. If anything, I will at least improve my own well being and learn a butt load of good science along the way.

Thanks again

Chad Brosius