starting strength gym

Thread: Novice gains wasted in caloric deficit?

Default Novice gains wasted in caloric deficit?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Before I start, I would like to be clear that I am not asking if I can build muscle in a caloric deficit, because I know you can’t, and I am not looking to have a six pack. I am currently around 40% BF and I am getting bored with my diet (1800 calories/day) and the dumbbell exercises I have been doing in my basement trying to lose the weight. I have been reading the Starting Strength book, but I am struggling with when I should start the program. Ideally, I would like to get down to around 20% BF, then start the program and be able to properly bulk.

How much will I be limiting my novice gains by going through much of the novice program in a caloric deficit? Also, will the novice muscle gains I do not see in a caloric deficit be as easily available after I have been on the novice program for +/- 6 months in a deficit, reach around 20% BF, and can bulk? Or, will a good portion of those gains be much harder to reach after I have squandered that portion of my newbie time in a deficit?

I am also considering doing the program at around maintenance calories. Reaching around 20% BF is important to me and I do not know that maintenance calories + lifting heavy will get me there.

I am 30 years old, 265 lbs, 5’9”, and have a decent amount of muscle already, but primarily from 8-12 rep lifting. No experience lifting heavy.

Thanks,

Jake