starting strength gym

Thread: How to prepare for long days of hiking in two months?

Default How to prepare for long days of hiking in two months?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know the common words of advice are to do the program and the amount of cardio inherent in the lifts is enough to keep you from being at high risk of cardiovascular illnesses. But what if I want to hike for long hours up steep hills?

I've been doing the program for about a year (taking me longer because I can't get my diet issues sorted). I'm a 25 yr old male, 190 lbs 6ft, sq: 250, dl: 290 , bench: 150, press: 115 .
    I recently went on a hike last week and I was incredibly "out of shape". My breathing was uncomfortably fast and heartrate stayed high at around 180-190 bpm. I feel like I'm way behind in my cardio adaptations to be able to hike for long hours without significant difficulty.

I've got a long road trip with lots of hikes planned in the Grand Canyon and Yosemite mid June. You guys have been saying that cardiovascular adaptations occur faster and leave you faster after a period of de-training than strength does. So I'm hoping to be as ready as I can for my hikes in June. How can I do this? Should I include a long cardio session in my strength sessions? Is hiking once a week enough during the weekend? Or should I do something like HIIT?

Thank you for your help

What skid said said in the other thread. I betcha by your 3rd try you could do the grind in a titch over an hour.

Sorry