starting strength gym

Thread: Hypothyroidism and training

Default Hypothyroidism and training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    28 year old male. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism two years and and thought it was under control, but it is a finicky organ. So I started over on my NLP this February and started getting lots of pains across multiple joints. Mainly in the tendons of my knees, elbows, and shoulders. Symmetrical pains, felt like the beginnings of tendonitis. The Pains were there no matter what physical activity; lifting, washing dishes, walking, anything. Turns out thyroid was off and the pains are more under control now with better medication dosage. I'm looking to start proper training again and was just seeing if anyone had any extra insight about training with a wonky thyroid. Have any of you coaches dealt with this in clients?

I don't have extra insight and haven't dealt with it in my clients, so will refrain from opining above my pay grade about that which I lack experience to discuss. But if someone has dealt with this directly or any of the docs want to chime in, maybe we can get some useful insight.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about five years ago (now 47) and experienced similar pains. Leading into that diagnosis, every training session was followed by copious amounts of Advil. After investigating more about hypothyroidism and it's symptoms and effects, I made some massive changes to my diet. That changed everything for me. Aside from the occasional soreness from a tough session, I have not required Advil for years, including during restarts on the NLP.
    Due to some life issues, I am actually restarting right now as well in preparation for a SS seminar in June. Once again, the pain is only normal lifting soreness, no drugs required, but for me it requires a very clean diet. Clean being, literally nothing with more than "five ingredients" and nothing processed, prepackaged etc. That's my N=1 experience.

I had my thyroid removed 10 years ago due to a goiter and haven't had any real trouble. My medication is regulated pretty well so my levels are good. I think that's the key to a lot of trouble when hypothyroidism is the issue. As long as my levels are good and take my medication every day (some days I forget), I feel fine.

Thanks for the advice.