starting strength gym

Thread: My Mum - 80 years old

Default My Mum - 80 years old

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

My Mum has always been health conscious and tried various exercise routines. She still works as a child minder and walks several miles per day. In the last year or two she has started to have falls, her balance is going. The result has been several breakages - foot/arm ( even with a foot support and bandaged arm she managed to get on a train from London with her suitcase and travel to our house for Xmas).

She wants to stay independent and as I was concerned with her increasing vulnerability to breakages, I suggested that she ask the doctor to get her some therapy time in the local gym. She started a 12 week course at the gym two weeks ago. They have put her on the usual machines and cardio bikes which is better than nothing, but won't get her strong. I've had her doing unweighted box squats at home which she manages and has already noticed improvements to her balance. I've also advised her to increase protein and calories generally.

After the 12 week course she can move on to any gym she wants and can then use more serious weights. She hopes to visit me in July August and has asked if I can show her the ropes. Obviously I'm not going to have he get under the bar and load it up, but what would be the best routine ? I'm thinking dumbbell seated press (she has good mobility), goblet box squats, unweighted trapeze DL ?

The answer is going to be "that depends." What can she actually do? How close can you get to incrementally loadable full body lifts?

Almost everyone can deadlift with a regular barbell, although you might need to make some modifications.

Sully wrote a book on this.

The Barbell Prescription | The Aasgaard Company

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    The answer is going to be "that depends." What can she actually do? How close can you get to incrementally loadable full body lifts?

Almost everyone can deadlift with a regular barbell, although you might need to make some modifications.

Sully wrote a book on this.

The Barbell Prescription | The Aasgaard Company
    I have the book. Will have another read through that chapter. My memory is that it wasn't specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I have the book. Will have another read through that chapter. My memory is that it wasn't specific.
    it's as specific as it can be. You won't know what your mum can do until you get her in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    it's as specific as it can be. You won't know what your mum can do until you get her in the gym.
    I was looking for any kind of recommendation really from those who have overcome issues/avoided certain thing. Just trying to front load ahead of time. Thanks anyway Karl-you are right though, I won't know until she is in the Gym.

Karl's correct in that you're going to have to get in there and see what's what.
    I'm not sure what an "unweighted trapeze DL" is, but one I do with fairly untrained Masters that age is a rack pull of some sort. You can do something like start with a training (5kg) bar set above the knee on the rack safeties, teach her the grip, and how to put her back in extension, then have her stand the bar up for a few sets of 5. Then gradually lower the pins and/or add a kilo or two over time.

This video of now ex-SSC Alan Thrall training his mum for the first time might be helpful if you're looking for specific examples of exercise modifications for people who lack the strength/flexibility to perform the main lifts on their first day. I know this was published right around when barbell medicine split from SS but the advice seems to line up with what SSCs do.

starting strength coach development program
    I was thinking of that AT video when I wrote the post.

Rack pulls, nice one. That's definitely a good idea pulling from the safeties.