starting strength gym

Thread: Lower body exercises and torn hip labra

Default Lower body exercises and torn hip labra

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi -- So I have a torn labrum in each hip (partial thickness tear in the left, full thickness tear in the right). I do plan on having two separate surgeries to repair them, but that is still a few months away at this point.

I was wondering whether there were any (hopefully at least somewhat informed) opinions on what I might safely do in the way of lower body exercise until I've had the surgeries and fully recovered. I don't have explicit orders from the doc to do A or not do B. The direction I've gotten has basically been that if it doesn't hurt, it should be ok, and if it does hurt, don't do it.

As far as squats go, they do hurt. I can do basically half a squat without pain. If I lower beyond a certain depth then it does start to hurt quite a bit.

Just looking at the motion of the deadlift, since the thighs are not brought in nearly as close to the torso (thighs to torso is basically what hurts) it seems like I ought to be able to do it without pain. But honestly I have never done this exercise, so I'm a little wary of trying it. (Relative n00b, sorry, and most of my limited weightlifting efforts have been devoted to more upper body stuff, neglecting the lower half.)

So I guess my questions are...

1. Is half a squat even worth bothering with or should I just leave this out until after my surgeries?
    2. Would you think that deadlifts would be ok to try given the nature of my injury? And...
    3. Any other thoughts on good lower body exercises that seem relatively safe for me at the moment?

Thanks for any guidance.

I’ve been squatting with two full-thickness tears since 2009. You might have to alter your stance - i squat with a slightly wider stance than we’d normally coach. And, we can’t see you’re squat, so yuo’re probably squatting incorrectly. Deadlift has always been fine for the reasons you state.

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    And, we can’t see you’re squat, so yuo’re probably squatting incorrectly.
    I have no doubt. But I'm kind of surprised to learn that even if I were to do it correctly (maybe with some modification) I could do so pain free. Maybe if I posted a video here you could give me some direction?

At any rate, it's good to have confirmation from someone who knows that deadlifts should be a go.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Steve Hill; 05-14-2018 at 03:45 AM.