starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form

Default Squat Form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

Hi my name is Isaac from Socal, currently been running the LP program for a solid 6ms
    BW started at 120lb and now 156lbs (My area of opt is eating more to get more weight on me, this I do know) I get about 4000kcal a day and after going through the forum a couple times this is one thing I'm changing by eating double cheeseburgers and shakes to get more kcal.
    DL is currenty at 290x5
    Bench is 210x5
    Press is 120x5
    (I don't power clean because somehow my lower spine where my sacrum is gets inflammation by doing them, I figured since I'm probably not doing them right I won't proceed with them and wait till I save enough money to get a SSC in person)
    and Squat is 232.5 with the squat I stalled at 250 and couldn't make the reps so I started back at 220, I wear a belt due to an injury to my sacrum spine so I don't cause any injury, and just wrap my knees with ACE bandages because it's all I can afford so it can keep my knees warm not for rebound.
    I tried my best o get the best angle in my garage, I hope it works if not I'll try again it's because my garage is very small so I can barely go to the side enough to get my body. I appreciate what you guys do and any feedback goes a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Carrillo View Post
    YouTube

Hi my name is Isaac from Socal, currently been running the LP program for a solid 6ms
    BW started at 120lb and now 156lbs (My area of opt is eating more to get more weight on me, this I do know) I get about 4000kcal a day and after going through the forum a couple times this is one thing I'm changing by eating double cheeseburgers and shakes to get more kcal.
    DL is currenty at 290x5
    Bench is 210x5
    Press is 120x5
    (I don't power clean because somehow my lower spine where my sacrum is gets inflammation by doing them, I figured since I'm probably not doing them right I won't proceed with them and wait till I save enough money to get a SSC in person)
    and Squat is 232.5 with the squat I stalled at 250 and couldn't make the reps so I started back at 220, I wear a belt due to an injury to my sacrum spine so I don't cause any injury, and just wrap my knees with ACE bandages because it's all I can afford so it can keep my knees warm not for rebound.
    I tried my best o get the best angle in my garage, I hope it works if not I'll try again it's because my garage is very small so I can barely go to the side enough to get my body. I appreciate what you guys do and any feedback goes a long way!
    Isaac from Socal:

The squats look pretty good from what can be seen in this video. Your stance is probably just a little wide and your right foot appears pointed out at a wider angle than your left. Minor tweaks aside, it seems like you have more of a programming than a technique problem. What were the circumstances behind the stall at 250 and how did you end up at this point after a "solid" 6 months of LP?

(Not a SSC) but a question: Your vid says 5x5. Are you doing three three sets of five or 5x5? Some would suggest that you are not dong the program, that the add'l volume the two additional sets could create the stall during a novice LP. Again, not an SSC so just putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    (Not a SSC) but a question: Your vid says 5x5. Are you doing three three sets of five or 5x5? Some would suggest that you are not dong the program, that the add'l volume the two additional sets could create the stall during a novice LP. Again, not an SSC so just putting it out there.
    Detective Tommy on the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Isaac from Socal:

The squats look pretty good from what can be seen in this video. Your stance is probably just a little wide and your right foot appears pointed out at a wider angle than your left. Minor tweaks aside, it seems like you have more of a programming than a technique problem. What were the circumstances behind the stall at 250 and how did you end up at this point after a "solid" 6 months of LP?
    I was attempting 250x5x3 and was only able to get 4,3,3 and then the next workout went to 3,2,2. So from reading I figured I'd jump back 10%

Oh that was 232.5 for 5 reps 3 sets lol

I was doing 232.5 for 5 reps three sets, I was putting 232.5x5

I was attempting 250x5x3 and was only able to get 4,3,3 and then the next workout went to 3,2,2. So from reading I figured I'd jump back 10%
    Isaac, what I'm getting at is that 6 months of LP would normally yield much higher numbers if applied correctly. 6 months is a pretty long time to run the linear progression (barring any interruptions), and those that manage it usually are the ones who get to end up really strong. For instance, if a lifter ran 6 straight months of perfectly vanilla LP starting at 135 pounds with a perfect compliance rate, he'd be squatting somewhere in the low 500's for 3x5. I don't mean to imply that those results are anywhere close to typical, but the thing to look at is where your program deviated from that and figure out why. What weight did you squat in the first workout? How many consecutive times did you successfully add 5 pounds and manage 3 sets of 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Isaac, what I'm getting at is that 6 months of LP would normally yield much higher numbers if applied correctly. 6 months is a pretty long time to run the linear progression (barring any interruptions), and those that manage it usually are the ones who get to end up really strong. For instance, if a lifter ran 6 straight months of perfectly vanilla LP starting at 135 pounds with a perfect compliance rate, he'd be squatting somewhere in the low 500's for 3x5. I don't mean to imply that those results are anywhere close to typical, but the thing to look at is where your program deviated from that and figure out why. What weight did you squat in the first workout? How many consecutive times did you successfully add 5 pounds and manage 3 sets of 5?
    Oh okay I apologize, when I meant straight 6 I meant using the program sorry not like every workout adding 5lbs. I think I probably made the mistake of when it did get hard I started adding 2.5 rather than 5 every squat session. So I started at 95 I believe, the reason why I don't remember is because I didn't record my log until 1month in, and then 3ms in my injury flared up on my lower back was at 245 and reset to a more comfortable weight at 135 and now I'm here since then, but recent once I hit 200lbs on the squat I added 2.5lbs because I was afraid of it getting it flared up again. I should've opened up with this, I apologize for not mentioning this instead. I have my current log I'll scan it at work tomorrow to send it pdf

starting strength coach development program
    Oh okay I apologize, when I meant straight 6 I meant using the program sorry not like every workout adding 5lbs. I think I probably made the mistake of when it did get hard I started adding 2.5 rather than 5 every squat session. So I started at 95 I believe, the reason why I don't remember is because I didn't record my log until 1month in, and then 3ms in my injury flared up on my lower back was at 245 and reset to a more comfortable weight at 135 and now I'm here since then, but recent once I hit 200lbs on the squat I added 2.5lbs because I was afraid of it getting it flared up again. I should've opened up with this, I apologize for not mentioning this instead. I have my current log I'll scan it at work tomorrow to send it pdf
    Well, some people would probably say that you didn't actually do the program. Actually one person in particular has said that, pretty clearly, in dozens or hundreds of forum posts, a book or two, and in an article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast