starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Hips Shootinbrg Back

Default Squat Form Check - Hips Shootinbrg Back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coaches,

Ok, reposting after getting verified.

I’m a 39 year old, skinny guy at about 138lbs, 5’7”. Been making my way through both books (SS and PP) and using the app as well, for a couple months now. The link below is my squat from 5/10 at 150lbs ( apologies for the tilted camera angle) I had to deload once I hit 160 as I failed it three times, but the sets were all over the place at 160 from failing 3rd rep first set to almost making it through all three sets. I actually tried 160 again today, but failed it with sets of 5, 2, 2.

I “feel” like I’m losing extension on my lower back and maybe tipping forward, but I really am not sure being a beginner. Also, as the weight gets heavier, my hips and knees are really shooting back at bottom and I’m struggling to find a cue to correct this. This seems to be pushing the bar forward of mid-foot and I then feel like I’m trying to lift the bar with my back which is killing my power from legs.

Thank you for any feedback.

Video: YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilkins View Post
    Hi Coaches,

Ok, reposting after getting verified.

I’m a 39 year old, skinny guy at about 138lbs, 5’7”. Been making my way through both books (SS and PP) and using the app as well, for a couple months now. The link below is my squat from 5/10 at 150lbs ( apologies for the tilted camera angle) I had to deload once I hit 160 as I failed it three times, but the sets were all over the place at 160 from failing 3rd rep first set to almost making it through all three sets. I actually tried 160 again today, but failed it with sets of 5, 2, 2.

I “feel” like I’m losing extension on my lower back and maybe tipping forward, but I really am not sure being a beginner. Also, as the weight gets heavier, my hips and knees are really shooting back at bottom and I’m struggling to find a cue to correct this. This seems to be pushing the bar forward of mid-foot and I then feel like I’m trying to lift the bar with my back which is killing my power from legs.

Thank you for any feedback.

Video: YouTube
    Chris, a lot of what you're describing isn't actually happening in the video. For instance, your hips are not coming back out of the bottom. Unfortunately, you're also not continuing to focus on driving them up, but are deciding at various points during the ascent to focus on lifting your chest. Focus on the feeling of the weight of you+barbell being centered on mid-foot (this might result in a barbell slightly ahead of your mid-foot until you get the barbell a little heavier, but what you need to focus on is feeling the weight centered on mid-foot). And get the depth consistently on every rep. There may be a little spinal flexion happening but it's hard to tell in this video, especially since you're on the small side and don't fill up your t-shirt well. Definitely focus on bracing at the top before each rep and getting your spine long and straight and rigid.

The actual big question is why you went 5-2-2 at 160. That failure pattern typically indicates woefully inadequate rest between the sets. How long did you wait after getting 5 reps on set 1 to attempt set 2? Did you literally fail to get back up at the bottom of both third reps, or did you quit because it felt heavy?

Thanks, Adam. Appreciate the feedback.

As far as rest, I waited about 5 minutes between sets this morning. I think I quit because it just “felt” like back up wasn’t going to happen and that I was really losing my form. So, yes, felt heavy. I actually do have a video from today filmed at 45 degree from rear, but one of those damn gymnastics rings hanging off my rack partially obscured the video. It’s not horrible, but I can upload and post if you think it would be of help to see. On that video, you will see more of the hips back, knees back action when I start the ascent.

I’m pretty frustrated with being stuck at 160. I’m obviously not a big guy, but for some reason I just didn’t think I should be stuck this early on my squat. My DL is going ok, that’s at 210 at once per week frequency right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilkins View Post
    Thanks, Adam. Appreciate the feedback.

As far as rest, I waited about 5 minutes between sets this morning. I think I quit because it just “felt” like back up wasn’t going to happen and that I was really losing my form. So, yes, felt heavy. I actually do have a video from today filmed at 45 degree from rear, but one of those damn gymnastics rings hanging off my rack partially obscured the video. It’s not horrible, but I can upload and post if you think it would be of help to see. On that video, you will see more of the hips back, knees back action when I start the ascent.

I’m pretty frustrated with being stuck at 160. I’m obviously not a big guy, but for some reason I just didn’t think I should be stuck this early on my squat. My DL is going ok, that’s at 210 at once per week frequency right now.
    But you're not stuck at all, Chris. You're quitting on reps based on feelings. Know when 160 feels easy? When you do 205 for 3x5. Know how to get there? First, increase your rest periods and tell those stupid feelings to shut their dirty, lying mouths. Eating copious amounts of protein-rich foods is probably a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    But you're not stuck at all, Chris. You're quitting on reps based on feelings. Know when 160 feels easy? When you do 205 for 3x5. Know how to get there? First, increase your rest periods and tell those stupid feelings to shut their dirty, lying mouths. Eating copious amounts of protein-rich foods is probably a good idea too.
    Ok thanks again, Adam.

Just to clarify, I misinterpreted what you wrote regarding the failed sets of 2; I went down to squat and failed to make it back up on the third rep and set bar down on pins. And yes, it also felt heavy. Maybe answer is the same regardless: rest longer, try harder.

As you suggested, I’ll try to focus on keeping the weight over mid foot and keeping spine rigid to see if that helps my form.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Eating copious amounts of protein-rich foods is probably a good idea too.
    For an n=1 example (49, 195 lbs, 5'7"), I just doubled my protein intake by using 2 scoops of whey powder instead of one every time I take a shake. Squats and deads seem to be responding, even after just a single week. Admittedly, those shakes get old and I now find them hard to choke down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    For an n=1 example (49, 195 lbs, 5'7"), I just doubled my protein intake by using 2 scoops of whey powder instead of one every time I take a shake. Squats and deads seem to be responding, even after just a single week. Admittedly, those shakes get old and I now find them hard to choke down.
    I’ve taken a similar approach as well, just different delivery method. I’ll do a shake in morning and one in evening. Hoping it starts to help out a little.