starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good morning Coaches,

Thank you for everything that you do. The amount and the quality of material that you put out is absolutely amazing. I was hoping to get a form check on my latest DL. I pulled 440x5 (new 5RM). During the fourth and fifth rep, I felt my left chest muscle sort of getting "pulled down" as I dragged the bar up my legs. My left hand is supinated, so perhaps that had something to do with that sensation, and I just need to work on keeping my upper back tighter and queuing my chest up harder. The discomfort only lasted for about 30 seconds after the set, and I haven't had any issues since. Any feedback is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Other info:

30 yo m, 6'4", 255 lbs

youtube

A couple of things. Moving the bar around invalidates you putting it over the middle of your foot. So don't move the bar around. You, on several reps, pull with your shins almost vertical, rocking back onto your heels before you pull. Put your weight on the midfoot, put the bar over the midfoot, and let your shins come to the bar WITHOUT MOVING THE BAR. When you pull, push the floor away with your feet - you're extending your hips a little too much at the beginning (we call this "standing up off the floor"). Bringing your shins to the bar, with the bar over the midfoot and keeping your weight the will allow you to use a little more knee to get the bar moving off the floor, which should help the back rounding on the latter reps.

Thanks so much for the feedback coach. I do see that I move the bar backwards before each rep. I will definitely work on that. And not that it matters, but I actually linked to the incorrect video in my original post. Here is the correct video I meant to ask about.. youtube

I know there hasn't been a request for any additional videos, so I hope I don't get in trouble, but I didn't want to edit my original post and change the link to the video, since you have already provided valuable feedback for that one. I don't expect any additional feedback for this video, but I just wanted the chance to correct myself.

Watched. Same comments apply

Thanks again coach, I really appreciate the feedback! I really have to work on my set-up and focus on not moving the bar once it is over midfoot. Also, I finally got around to listening to your discussion on the barbell logic podcast.. what a great episode! It was really interesting hearing you gentlemen talk about the physics of the movements and manipulating the moment arms.

starting strength coach development program
    Glad you enjoyed the podcast. I look forward to doing another with Matt and Scott soon.