starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back strain?

Default Lower back strain?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches,

Since about 2 weeks I have this pulling pain in my lower back. It fires only when I flex it, i.e. bend forward (tie my shoes, put on sucks, etc.)
    The type of pain is kind of like a DOM.

I believe it started the day after I had a bad deadlift workout, where I pulled the last rep with a too rounded lower back. I didnt feel anything "ripping" during the lift though, it came the next few days.

Is this a lower back/muscle strain? Will it go away by its own, or should I actively do something about it, for example the Starr rehab protocol? I guess ibuprofen wont do much here?

I can do my workouts without problem btw, so I hope its nothing too serious.

Thank you for your help!

BR,
    Philipp

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Muhoray View Post
    Is this a lower back/muscle strain?
    Extremely unlikely.

Training generally helps little aggravations like this to go away faster than they otherwise would and you already say you're doing that. Avoid irritating it with flexion and if your muscles are tightening up to guard the area, try a bit of rubbing on them or whatever makes them feel better.

Completely agree with stef. This has happened to me a few times. Keeping it moving is your best bet. Sitting around "resting it" will cause it to hang around for a while, at least that has been my experience with it.