starting strength gym

Thread: Can Excessive Arching Cause Shoulder Pain? (Bench Press)

Default Can Excessive Arching Cause Shoulder Pain? (Bench Press)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been wondering, in doing my research, I see how Mark talks about raising the chest to bring mechanical efficiency back to the bench press. I try to do that and I bring the bar to the lower portion of my pecs, however I am still having shoulder pain in the front. I am pretty sure it is shoulder impingement and am trying to manage it. Broken collar bone that didn't heal right is the reason. I have issues overhead pressing too but that's another discussion.

I tried benching with only a slight arch and with a very hard arch and it's hard to tell but I think arching hard might be harder on my shoulder. Is there an explanation for this that you guys might be aware of?

Perhaps the lesser arch forces the elbows to adduct a little more in order to bring the bar to the same spot on the chest. I don't really focus on tucking the elbows hard, but rather try to bring the bar to a point on the chest and keeping the elbows under the bar. That seems to simplify things a little bit for me, but of course I'm the one who also has shoulder issues so what do I know. Would really appreciate some insight, thanks!

-Jack

Hey Jack
    Without seeing your setup, grip width, and touchpoint it'd be tough to say for certain if the "harder arch" or the way you're getting the arch is the culprit. I've had folks inadvertently arch and shrug the shoulders up rather than squeeze the scapulas back, and had that cause some pain over time.

The improperly healed collar bone could be the problem.

I would focus on finding a position, grip width, or touch point that allows you to bench pain free. If less of an arch allows you to bench without pain, then use less of an arch. If you have to take a little narrower or wider grip to alleviate the issue, that may also be the solution. I have a few clients that have to use a close-grip exclusively to be able to bench at all. It's not optimal, but it's better than not training.
    You may not be able to get in the perfect position described in the book. Use the model as a guide, and tweak as needed so you can continue to train long-term.

The other options would be posting a form check in the Technique sub-forum, becoming "verified" as outlined in the sticky and posting a form check here, or seeing a coach if one is near by, and discover if there's a glaring issue that can be corrected.

Hopefully that helps.