starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, old thread closed. Knees, upper back / chest position, depth

Default Squat form check, old thread closed. Knees, upper back / chest position, depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My old thread was closed before I got another response, so here's my latest 3 x 5 for squats. 295.

YouTube

Last time I was told my knees were not bending early enough. I've tried to make the hips and knees bend together more naturally. How is the knee position, and how is the depth?

Also, I've been somewhat concerned about my upper back position because I get some shoulder and elbow pain, generally only on my left side, after heavy squats. Am I performing "proud chest" properly? Thanks.

Hi Isaac,

Knees are moving forward early enough, as you get through the set, but I think they likely aren't moving out enough. This is why depth is a little bit high. Get knees forward and OUT and get them out of the way of your torso.

I think you are right about your upper back. I can't see it very well through the plates, but I think you are likely hunching your upper back a little bit.