starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press technique - SS vs Koklov and Larry Wheels

Default Press technique - SS vs Koklov and Larry Wheels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you guys think about the press technique used by olympic lifters such as Koklov, they have to clean the weight before so they start from a rack position.

and what about Larry Wheels technique, little dip and elbows comes behind the bar

Pretty cool. What do you think about them?

Speaking of the press, how does one go from the floating rack to having the bar rest on his delts?
    I saw Cody Annino at the SSC meet, great presses, not long ago he had the bar floating pretty high, apparently he implemented some changes to get the bar lower.
    To my untrained eye it seems that he has his wrists more extended his elbows up higher, is there a secret I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    well its obviously not "bad" because it works for them and they seem pain free. In the clean & press, i get that it must be inconvenient to narrow their grip once its racked, but they seem to go too wide and press with their wrist very bent.

With Larry Wheels, ive never seen someone dip the weight down from a floating rack position so far with elbows so far behind the bar. Just seems not logical but it seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Some strong folks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate9 View Post
    Speaking of the press, how does one go from the floating rack to having the bar rest on his delts?
    I saw Cody Annino at the SSC meet, great presses, not long ago he had the bar floating pretty high, apparently he implemented some changes to get the bar lower.
    To my untrained eye it seems that he has his wrists more extended his elbows up higher, is there a secret I am missing?
    A few ways. You can widen the grip a bit. Extend the wrists more, as you pointed out. Or have the "benefit" of shorter arm segments.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    well its obviously not "bad" because it works for them and they seem pain free. In the clean & press, i get that it must be inconvenient to narrow their grip once its racked, but they seem to go too wide and press with their wrist very bent.

With Larry Wheels, ive never seen someone dip the weight down from a floating rack position so far with elbows so far behind the bar. Just seems not logical but it seems to work.
    The guy I train with taught me to utilise that technique. I lift the bar off the rack with it kissing my lips. It means that I can hold perfect tightness and that, to me at least, is the secret to lifting more weight. I found that resting the bar on the delts allowed me to become loose and then I couldn't get a good start. I don't dip it from the lip position, just pivot back and push the bar behind me, then on the decent, the bar comes to shoulder level for the complete press to begin. The guy I train with does dip the bar after taking it from the rack, but only for single reps.

Don't know if this works for everyone, but it certainly broke me through my own personal barrier-though whether this is just because my SS technique sucked and this is a work around, its hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    The guy I train with taught me to utilise that technique. I lift the bar off the rack with it kissing my lips.
    In public gym? Bold move if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Using a dam obviously ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast