starting strength gym

Thread: Strength and Conditioning Grants

Default Strength and Conditioning Grants

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,

This year I became the S&C coach at our school. It's a very small school (150ish kids 9-12) we play 8 man football and have to rent a building to use as our weight room. Our weight room is very "blue collar" and has and Black Iron feel too it, buuuut there are things I'd like to improve and I will be on a committe in October for plans for a new on campus facility. I was just curious if there are grants out there that could help get things where I want them. After a little googling the only grant I really saw was through the NSCA which sucks and I'd have to be a member to apply. If anyone knows of any grants or programs out there kindly refer them.

So far I have had great attendance by the kids and amazing support by the coaches. I'd love to make the weight room a place that kids want to be in and can be proud of, rather than a run down old building. Thanks in advance!

This is typically the function of the school Booster Club. Surely you have one.

We do not. We have a group called "The Education Foundation" that does have funds available towards our school, typically these funds are used for educational purposes. They did give me some funds to purchase weight lifting belts and the school district agreed to give me a stipend for my hours in the weight room (which previously was done by a volunteer). Many of the members of the school board and The Foundation have kids in athletics so they are willing to help when they can, as stated the funds are primarily for educational purposes.

Our current weight room is functional. We have 4 full racks, 4 half racks, power bars, olympic bars, roll away benches, iron plates and some bumper plates. The bars are straight and I have personally oiled and cleaned them, but the knurl is wearing down on the olympic bars. My primary concerns are the half racks which do not have adjustable hooks, they have about 15 slots down each side so the bar can be put to different heights. This concerns me for bench, kids are reminded every day that they must have a spotter and that spotter ALWAYS helps them into the hooks even on warm ups. Those need to get replaced pronto.

Why not organize a Booster Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why not organize a Booster Club?
    I would say because most booster clubs turn out to be 2-3 people doing all the work. Honestly Kyle, your setup sounds like it is a lot better than most, especially for a school in an 8 man football league. I would put together a very detailed budget, along with a proposal that is based on injury prevention and the ability for all athletes within the school (especially females) having access and guidance in this "new and improved" weight room. The reason I say to focus on those items (safety/injury/female) is frankly because that is what most school boards want to hear. Find a good equipment company to work with that specializes in high school and college programs and get input from them.

I had the same issue (only a bigger school) when I was coaching football. We had a bunch of run down and semi-refurbished junk in our room. It was also unorganized and grossly under used. The HC said we had a budget of $600 to get some new bars and to find someplace to get them. I got a company that was in the business of HS weight rooms and put together the very thing I am telling you. I sold the idea as a multi use room for all athletes blah blah blah.... I also involved the area hospital network we worked with for our trainers and got them to throw in some dough. We were able to get approved for a $20K renovation budget and now that school has one of the best rooms in the league. Unfortunately, after I left it isn't utilized as much as it should, but that's another story.

Definitely something I’ve been looking at. These smalls schools can be very “that’s the way we’ve always done things” about EVERYTHING. Yet they wonder why none of their sports ever make it past the 1st round of play offs if we even make it that far. Already working on changing a lot of mindsets about lifting and leadership, the next thing on my list will be talking to administration on the workings of a Booster Club.

I remember a few years ago a forum member was in a similar position. He was a high school teacher and wanted to outfit the existing HS gym (more of a room) with a few racks and DL platforms. He set up a kickstarter, and some of us actually threw some short $$$ at him because it was a worthy cause. his Kickstarter page was well written, had pictures, listed exactly what he wanted to buy and described why building strength was important for the students. May sound like a hassle but think about it. If there is no budget front he school and no booster club maybe it is an option. It’s not like you are begging, you describe what you are trying to achieve and why the funding is necessary.

Another great idea! Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've got some good options to consider.

After football I'll have a talk with our administrators with a budget in hand and go through our options. I think a booster club will be a tough sell, but it will be discussed. Also the idea of a kickstarter sounds like a good choice. From what I'm told there is money in our community and families that will donate, I just have to know who to ask and how to pitch things.

As far as equipment companies we are located 30 miles away from Power Lift's headquarters in Jefferson, IA. Although from what I heard they don't tend to go out of there way to help little guys, they do have some refurbished equipment i keep my eye on from time to time.