starting strength gym

Thread: Overpronation and shoes

Default Overpronation and shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just came out of a boot because of posterior tibialis tendonitis. I was fitted for orthotics for my day to day sneakers (Brooks Beast). My question is can weightlifting shoes lock my foot in so my ankle dies not pronate? Should I still wear orthotics?

Hey Nightfly
    Weightlifting shoes on their own won't keep the ankle from pronating.
    How squishy are the orthotics? Have you been training in weightlifting shoes without orthotics?

Weightlifting shoes give good support to the plantar arch and this should be sufficient, especially considering the short time you wear 'em.

Have you tried kinesiology tape for your tendonitis?

I never trained in Olympic shoes, could never afford them. The orthotics are fairly firm. I have had two TKR and now this and I do have balance issues. Balance issue on standing on one leg that is. I would think if my ankles were caving in on a squat that would not be ideal.

If you have balance issues, then you'd probably benefit from the more stable surface that a weightlifting shoe provides. You can find a bunch of stuff on sale at Rogue. I know Nike and Adidas have removable soles.
    I don't know of a weightlifting shoe that would guarantee that your ankle wouldn't roll though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    I don't know of a weightlifting shoe that would guarantee that your ankle wouldn't roll though.
    www.whitesboots.com

I have suffered from posterior tibial tendinitis in the past and am an extreme over pronator. I am extremely flat footed with absolutely no arch present. Seriously, my foot is more convex than concave. I also have custom rigid orthotics made from molds of my feet for daily use in my work shoes and sneakers.

I wear an older pair of Do-Wins (they still have a solid wood heel instead of the current composite material) when I train; I wear the same shoes for all my lifts, including deadlifts. I have found that a good pair of weightlifting shoes with a snug metatarsal strap is sufficient. In the past, I have experimented with using the orthotics inserted in to the weightlifting shoes and 1) found it very uncomfortable when lifting 2) derived no benefit from it beyond the stability provided by the shoes themselves. Pronation is largely associated with the gait when walking and/or running with the foot rolling inward following contact with ground as you propel yourself forward; while performing the lifts you are stationary, so unless you ankle is unstable and prone to collapsing you should be fine without the orthotics inserted inside a good quality weightlifting shoe or boot.

You absolutely need to invest in a good pair of weightlifting footwear. They aren't any more expensive than a pair of brand new Beast running shoes.

Also, you may want to look at a running different shoe. The Beast is probably the best motion control running shoe on the market, however the combination of Beast + Orthotic may be overkill. I wore the Beasts for years until a knowledgeable Podiatrist recommended switching to the Brooks Adrenaline or Addiction shoe if I was wearing my orthotics consistently. Both the Addiction and Adrenaline are significantly more affordable than the Beasts. For me the Adrenalines were much more comfortable (and a whole lot lighter), and still addressed my issues as long as I wore the orthotics when running. (Yes, many years ago I was a skinny triathlete and runner)

starting strength coach development program
    I used to own and wear the Brooks Beast for years and am also an over pronator. I used the Superfeet blue footbed in that shoe.

I now wear a Superfeet blue in my Adidas lifting shoe. Works for me.

(I use the green Superfeet footbed in all my other walking or athletic shoes that can accommodate it for the bit of extra arch support.)