starting strength gym

Thread: Press 2.0

Default Press 2.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I still can't quite figure out this bounce part.
    Tighen everything up, big breath, push hips forward over the toes.
    Then do we lift with the hips in the forward position, as we move to that forward position, or as we transition back from the forward position ?

I find that I'm pushing the hips forward and then I'm staying pretty much like that when the weight gets heavy, until it slowly gets beyond my head, then I bring my entire torso under the bar to get to the lock out position.

I've watched lots of videos, but all of them have the lifter going so quickly from the starting position to full lockout that it's hard to tell what's going on.

In the strict press 1.0 clearly it's necessary to lay back from the hips to get the head out of the way, so exactly how does press 2.0 differ ? I don't think that if I watched a lifter doing 1.0 vs 2.0 that the difference would be obvious.

Also, as my knees are fine, would it be simpler to do a push press if I'm struggling to master the movement ? I suspect I'm one of those people that don't find movements intuitive - anyone seeing me trying to follow a simple dance move would see I'm not cut out for it.

Hey Nockian

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I still can't quite figure out this bounce part.
    Tighen everything up, big breath, push hips forward over the toes.
    Then do we lift with the hips in the forward position, as we move to that forward position, or as we transition back from the forward position ?
    Have you had a chance to read the press chapter in the book? Check out pages 86-88.

I find that I'm pushing the hips forward and then I'm staying pretty much like that when the weight gets heavy, until it slowly gets beyond my head, then I bring my entire torso under the bar to get to the lock out position.
    Are you by any chance squeezing the hell out of your glutes before you initiate the hip action?

Also, as my knees are fine, would it be simpler to do a push press if I'm struggling to master the movement ?
    No, the push press is a different exercise with a different rack position and uses mainly hip and knee extension to propel the bar upward. It's not going to be a good substitute or training tool for the press 2.0.

You could submit form checks in the Technique sub-forum or the SS FB group. Or you could go through the verification process outlined in the sticky and post form checks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Nockian

Have you had a chance to read the press chapter in the book? Check out pages 86-88.

Are you by any chance squeezing the hell out of your glutes before you initiate the hip action?

No, the push press is a different exercise with a different rack position and uses mainly hip and knee extension to propel the bar upward. It's not going to be a good substitute or training tool for the press 2.0.

You could submit form checks in the Technique sub-forum or the SS FB group. Or you could go through the verification process outlined in the sticky and post form checks here.
    Read it several times and the RIPs videos are highly detailed to boot so it really should be sufficient, but I just don't get it.
    Yes, squeezing hell out of glutes - pretty much necessary in all the lifts.
    Pity about the push press as that's an easier one to master.
    Looks like I'm stuck with just doing conventional press which isn't moving -infact after missing the ML day of HLM it went quickly backwards-blimey what's going on there? ? Bench is stuck too. Thought if I got that press 2.0 sorted, or went to push press it might get some progress and unstick both lifts by getting a bit more weight on the bar.
    I shall probably just change things up with a bit more intensity/lower volume on one of the bench days.

Do you ask this because it would be BAD to do so, or GOOD to do so?

Asking for a friend. :/

Read it several times and the RIPs videos are highly detailed to boot so it really should be sufficient, but I just don't get it.
    I ask because the answer you seek is in bold print on page 88. The press is initiated as the shoulders come back forward toward the bar as a result of the "rebound" from the hip action. The forward hip action causes the downward, vertical movement of the bar, so you'd start the press upward off of that "bounce".
    Here's a good example from SSC Jayson Ball of the 2.0 timing

Yes, squeezing hell out of glutes - pretty much necessary in all the lifts.
    The glutes are going to contract whether you want them to or not. They're hip extensors, and hip extension is what occurs when you initiate the push forward to start the press 2.0. I don't like cueing "squeeze the glutes" at the setup of the press 2.0 because, in my experience, the hip action is slower and we want it to be an aggressive and quick "bounce" off of the tension created by the anterior musculature. Also, the hips tend to stay forward longer when the lifter is focused on squeezing the glutes, which means the shoulders can't come forward as fast to get under the bar and minimize the moment arm between them and the barbell.

This sounds like the problem you're describing above, which is why I asked if you were focused on squeezing them. Focus on getting the quads and trunk tight, the glutes will do their thing without you having to worry about it. Grip is such that the triceps will be mashed against the lats, and that is kept tight as well.

Watch the video above and see if you can get the bounce rhythm first, without the press, then add in the press. Your mantra is "Hips - Bounce - Press, Hips - Bounce - Press".
    See if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Do you ask this because it would be BAD to do so, or GOOD to do so?

Asking for a friend. :/
    Hey Geoff, see above.

starting strength coach development program
    I ask because the answer you seek is in bold print on page 88. The press is initiated as the shoulders come back forward toward the bar as a result of the "rebound" from the hip action. The forward hip action causes the downward, vertical movement of the bar, so you'd start the press upward off of that "bounce".
    Here's a good example from SSC Jayson Ball of the 2.0 timing

The glutes are going to contract whether you want them to or not. They're hip extensors, and hip extension is what occurs when you initiate the push forward to start the press 2.0. I don't like cueing "squeeze the glutes" at the setup of the press 2.0 because, in my experience, the hip action is slower and we want it to be an aggressive and quick "bounce" off of the tension created by the anterior musculature. Also, the hips tend to stay forward longer when the lifter is focused on squeezing the glutes, which means the shoulders can't come forward as fast to get under the bar and minimize the moment arm between them and the barbell.

This sounds like the problem you're describing above, which is why I asked if you were focused on squeezing them. Focus on getting the quads and trunk tight, the glutes will do their thing without you having to worry about it. Grip is such that the triceps will be mashed against the lats, and that is kept tight as well.

Watch the video above and see if you can get the bounce rhythm first, without the press, then add in the press. Your mantra is "Hips - Bounce - Press, Hips - Bounce - Press".
    See if that helps.
    OK that's right,so keeping the glutes tight is effect putting on a brake which explains why it feels sticky as I'm losing momentum. Video helped "it is a skill" :-) Initial thoughts are that this will help me get this sorted. Will go away and practice. Thanks Pete. Let you know how I get on.