starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches, I would love a few pointers on my squat. I've had to go with a slightly wider stance to avoid hip pain (Will Morris have me this tip). Is there anything I can work on for my next workout? Thanks again!
    YouTube

Hey Ryan
    You won't see your post until some approves/responds to it.

The stance is certainly wider than we'd prescribe for most people, but if Will Morris suggested it to mitigate hip pain and it's working, great. Are your knees tracking in line with your feet this wide?

Do you feel the bar rolling up your back as you go to drive your hips out of the bottom? The plates are spinning a bit and your upper back looks soft. Over the course of the set the bar starts to track forward a little, and on the last rep you lift your chest really early.
    See if you can get your thoracic spine more rigid. Lift your chest a bit, pull your elbows down and don't let them creep up. You'll get a better feeling of security without the bar rolling around and will be more confident in staying in your hips on the ascent.

Give that a go. Also, check up the article from SSC Bill Hannon here.

Hey Pete thanks for the reply. I do notice the bar rolling up my back. I think I was lifting my chest to counter this. I'll work on getting my upper back a bit tighter. Thanks again !

Yeah, you don't want the plates spinning back and forth like that. I've cued people to keep the plates still with mixed effect in the past. Either way, your upper back tightness should address this.
    Good luck.

Hey Pete. I've been watching ton of YouTube videos by starting strength on squat grip. Where Rip advises that you should be as narrow as possible (so tight you cant stand it, I think is what he said). When i narrow my grip too much I feel like my forearms are pushing the bar up my back , even when I crank my elbows down. Is this a shoulder flexibility issue ? (I've had shoulder injuries in the past. ) . Been cueing myself to pin my arms to my sides. Thanks for any insight!

I think I know the video you're referring to, but remember that you also want the wrists to be neutral. It isn't "as close as possible by any means necessary", but rather as close as you can get it while keeping the wrists in a neutral position.
    If you're pushing the bar up your back, it's likely the that the wrists are over-extended and the heel of the hand is underneath the bar, "pushing" it in that direction.
    Does that make sense?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes I think so. I'll keep working on my shoulder flexibility in the mean time. While keeping my wrist neutral. Thanks Pete.