starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    95lbs, end of third week of NLP. I've worked up from 75 in my first session (that was the weight at which rep 4-5 slowed down).

(Set 3 starts at 1:18)

Grip was too wide in the first set; fixed in sets 2-3.

The very last rep was a grind.

I'm not yet doing the Press 2.0 hip thing, but I think I need to start.

After the first set I focused on getting/keeping the bar close to midline. I'm used to kettlebell press, which has the forearm more in front (due to the bell's offset center of mass relative to the handle). In the second and third set I focused on getting forward sooner (as soon as it clears my forehead is the idea, as I understand it).

I also try to keep the weight on the meat of the palm. The pads of my fingertips are on the bar; there is a gap between the bar and my middle knuckles.

Appreciate any feedback. I don't want to miss a rep next Wednesday when I press again.

Hey Sean
    I see you signed up for the squat camp with Sully and Kurisko. Good call.

Your grip is a bit wide. Bring your grip in a finger-width to start. Your index finger will likely be right where the knurling begins in the center of the bar.
    When you go to unrack it, bend your knees more and get your elbows further in front of the bar, and the wrists flexed forward a bit more (middle knuckles toward the ceiling). Make sure everything is stacked up, with the elbow slightly forward of the bar, before you unrack it. Mash the triceps against the lats, and you're good to go.
    The narrower grip and elbows up/forward position will have you carrying the bar up a higher in the bottom. That's fine.

The elbows forward position will help to make sure you're driving the bar up as close to your face as possible and getting the bar back over shoulders. They help to determine the trajectory of the bar.

See how it goes with those adjustments. Double check the pressing videos on the youtube channel when you get a chance. And start practicing 2.0 as part of your routine.

Thank you, I will narrow the grip a skosh and get deeper under it in the setup. I know what you mean about the excessive wrist flexion. I will implement the 2.0 hip drive technique going forward too.

Here is an update from tonight at 100lbs.

YouTube

Unfortunately, I only got one set of 5, then two sets of 4.

My index fingers are just inside the knurling.

I do notice that on the first set, the “hip thrust” starts with the hips going back, which I know negates the point of the anterior tension (slackens the hip flexors). I tried to be more cognizant of that in the next sets.

I think the failed reps a) didn’t have enough hip drive, and b) too much lean-back / didn’t get right under it.

Should I try again (next Monday) at 100, see if I get 3 sets of 5?

Hey Sean

You haven't fixed the wrists or elbows here. There needs to be a lot more violence with your hip action.

Keep working on it.