starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    375 3x2 - 2nd set

YouTube

Need a fresh eye as I always check my own form. I think I'm shooting my hips back a bit and I tend to burry my squats 1 inch or 2 too deep.

Additionally this was my 3rd week of triples. Felt like I had 1 left in the tank, should I cycle to singles or give 3's one more week?

Hey Kyle

You are correct on both your observations. Both are caused by the same issue: back angle and dive-bombing into the bottom of the squat.

The lack of control is likely causing you to overshoot the depth, and the knees end up traveling further forward than they should. Or, you could be missing the correct knee position because you're going too fast, and the extra depth is just a fun feature. Either way, everything shifts forward of your midfoot balance point in the bottom. To account for that on the way up, your hips shoot back to get your COM back over your midfoot COB. It's your body trying to get you and 375 back in balance.

Getting leaned over a bit more will help you to keep your knees in the right position, by keeping your COM over COB, and allow you to send the hips back as you continue the descent. To the correct depth.

Slow down your descent and get leaned over a bit more. Get the knees set in place about half way down so they stop traveling forward. Continue to reach back with the hips until you get below parallel by about an inch. Your hamstrings will feel stretched to their limit.

Finally, get that little bit of flexion out of your wrists. Get them more neutral/slightly extended so that you can keep the elbows from cranking up. Keep the elbows down.

Good luck.

Thanks Pete, I'll work on controlling my decent better and leaning over more. I want to make my depth more consistent because I know I'm losing lbs on the bar by going too deep. Got Pr's to make bruh. I'll also work on the wrists, that's been an issue since forever.