starting strength gym

Thread: Barbell Row Form Check Request Please

Default Barbell Row Form Check Request Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Pete,

First attempt at a straight bar Barbell Row. Could you please have a look at my form?

YouTube

Get your hips higher so your knees are out of the way, and touch your belly rather than your chest.

Got it, thank you Sir. Looks good otherwise?

You aren't starting the bar properly off the floor. It's hard to tell from the video, but it looks a little forward -- bar should start over midfoot.

Reread pages 275-278 in Starting Strength and watch this video: Barbell Row video

The barbell row starts with a knee extension that accelerates the bar upward. Like any pull, it starts over the mid-foot when it's heavy. Yours is not heavy, so just make it faster off the floor so that it can get heavier.

Thank you Rip and Stef, I will make those adjustments for tonight's workout.

Hi Pete / Rip / Stef,

Here's my next attempt, trying to apply your comments. Rip, I watched your video and tried to emulate your bounce and switched to supine grip. Feels better. Hopefully it is an improvement on what I was previously doing. Also finding that 85lbs feel way lighter to me with supine. I know it's light anyway, but....only a month deep into this so far.

YouTube

Dean
    Still need to set your back for these. Lift your chest and get full tension in the arm before initiating the pull.

Keep working on it for a week or so.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Pete.

For some reason I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set my back. I feel like I am lifting my chest up and straightening but it seems I still don't quite have it.