starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just need someone to have a look. I'm the only one that ever sees these and I'm sure I could use some help. This was supposed to be Friday's workout but I didn't get to lift so I attempted it on Monday. Was supposed to be 315x5x3. I went 315x5,3,3,2. I'm 5'10' 185lbs 35 years old.
    YouTube
    This was my third set.

Hey Adam

Some lifting shoes would be helpful compared to the squishy running shoes you're wearing now. Please buy some. There are affordable versions available that will make an immediate improvement. Can't stress this enough.

You're starting with over-extended wrists when you take the grip and cranking the elbows up. This is going to make it near impossible to get the upper back in rigid extension. You need that to be in rigid extension so you actually get leaned over and send the hips back. Widen the grip, make the wrists neutral, then walk your hands in toward your shoulders while keeping the wrists neutral and your elbows down so the shoulder is enough extension to make a meat shelf for the bar and not cranked up this high. Lifting the chest will get the upper back tight and help trap the bar in position so you can lean over with more confidence.

Stop whatever it is you're doing between reps. The rocking back and forth and dancing around isn't helpful. Stand tall, make sure you're on midfoot, stay still, take a deep breath, and squat. Or, at the very least, add some merengue music to your video so it looks like you're dancing on purpose. Salsa is too dangerous.

Slow your descent and control yourself into the bottom. You're just letting everything unlock and plummeting in the hole. Don't let the bar mush you down. Control the descent so you can keep balanced on midfoot and keep everything tight for the turn around.

Work on that for now. Good luck!

Thanks a ton coach. Shoes are on the way, looking forward to applying the rest tomorrow.