starting strength gym

Thread: Introduce myself

Default Introduce myself

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello
    My name is Stephen Reinhart and I just joined the forum. Nice to meet you all.
    My background in weight training goes back 25 years. I have done splits, whole body etc. about a year ago I bought Starting Strength and learned a lot and have been following the method.
    My educational background is BS in Biology and I am a Physician Assistant who practices Endocrinology and Metabolism.
    I have a question on deadlifts. I am at a point where lifting straps are needed. I have been following the form for leg distance from the bar being 1 inch during setup but I’m finding that hard to gauge now that I am kneeling down in front of the bar to get my straps wrapped around it. When I stand up I can’t gauge if my legs are the correct distance, 1inch away. Today I felt like my legs were not vertical enough when I moved them
    Forward to touch the bar with my shins. Any advice on how to maintain the proper distance once I stand back up after wrapping the straps or any other cues to follow?
    Should I stand and bend over to wrap the straps?
    Thanks

Welcome Stephen

Why not get the bar lined up over the feet then just bend over to apply the straps? Do you have to kneel?
    How do you figure out if the bar is in the right place after you've setup for the first rep of a multi-rep set without straps?

If I get my feet lined up then bend over to wrap the straps I feel like my lower back fatigues slightly with the minute it takes to wrap, not much , but enough to feel. Kneeling eliminates that.

Without straps I stand with my shins one inch away from the bar and feet about 8-12 inches apart. I then reach down to grab then bar, move my legs forward until my shins touch the bar and then push my knees out until they touch my arms and then set my back and lift. This seems to have less back fatigue because it doesn’t take as long as wrapping the straps.

Watch this and make sure you're putting them on right. A minute to get some straps on is excessive.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 02-08-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Also Relevant:

YouTube