starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain when pressing

Default Shoulder pain when pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey there coaches . I've been experiencing some shoulder tightness/pain during bench and press. At the top of the press when I lockout I feel pain. I've tried switching to dumbells for a bit , but still have pain. Is there any good variations of presses I could use to speed recovery? Thanks for your time!

Hey Ryan
    Can you post a set of 5 here from a 10 o'clock angle? Tough to tell without seeing what's going on.

Dear Pete..here is a set of 5 (went as heavy as I could). Ive been doing strict press 1.0. I apologize for the shitty angle, I train in a small space. hopefully this is good enough..thanks fir your input!!
    YouTube

Hey Ryan

The lockout is a bit further back than it should be and you're jamming your head forward. Don't do that. Just think about getting the chest forward and getting the bar locked out right over the shoulder joint rather than driving it way the hell back. I don't know if that's contributing to your shoulder pain.
    Can you be more specific about where it is? Have you had any injuries to the area in the past? Have you tried a grip adjustment on the bench, like narrowing it?

It's at the front delt just above the armpit.where the peck and shoulder meet ?.I always bench with a narrow grip, because I have separated my right shoulder in the past ..and it feels easier on my right shoulder. But it's my left shoulder that is bothering me at the moment, its usually my good shoulder. Maybe I have a bit of tendonitis from benching and pressing with essentially the same narrow grip?

Since a bunch of different things converge in the area you describe, it's tough to say for certain.
    You could lay off all pressing for a week and see if it calms down. The go back to light pressing overhead exclusively for a week or two and see how it reacts.
    Also may want to get it checked out.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. Thanks Pete. I'll try rest ice for a week lay off the presses. If not better in a week I'll go see the doc!