starting strength gym

Thread: Squat knee slide when introducing belt

Default Squat knee slide when introducing belt

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

This is a 260x5 Wednesday deload squat. I am on my LP and have squatted 330x3x5 Monday. I decided I would try out the belt today, and this is my first time using a belt for the squat. I don't feel confident with the belt just yet, but should I use the belt anyway for Friday's 335x3x5? If not then, how gradually should I incorporate belt use into my work sets?

Thanks,

Jack Morrison

Hey Jack

Your knee slide is a combo of your 2-part squat descent and your back angle. Not sure why this is going on, but you send the hips back first, then let the knees come forward late and it looks clunky. Get your knees to go forward and out at the same time as you lean over and send the hips back. You could do with leaning over a just a bit more and I think your knees will get in the right place and you'll stay off your toes.
    You should absolutely use a belt. Normally, we'd say to put it on for the last warm-up or two before the work set. I you're still not used to it yet though, you can put it on earlier to get a better feel for it. Used properly, the belt is going to help you move more weight.

Good luck

Are you using the belt for other lifts? If you're not, go ahead and incorporate it for them as another way to get used to the belt. That will help you practice getting it set correctly and not being distracted by its addition.

Wearing it when you're not lifting might get you a few looks, but it can also help with tweaking the position and getting it broken in.

I feel that there is a much greater risk of failure if I use the belt Friday for 335x3x5 than if I go beltless due to my lack of experience with it. Should I use the belt anyway Friday?

Then wait and don't use it. But I'd definitely look to incorporate it sooner rather than later.