starting strength gym

Thread: Low bar back squat hip hinging

Default Low bar back squat hip hinging

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have a quick question. When initiating the low bar back squat, a hip hinge is used (sitting the hips back/reaching the hamstrings back). How far am I supposed to hinge at the hips before I start moving my hips straight down by bending my knees?

Is it a 100% hip hinge, into a 100% knee extension.

Or do I hinge at the hips like 20% of my maximum flexibility, and then as I am lowering by bending my knees, continue hinging until I hit 100% of their flexibility.

I am just wondering if the hinging occurs at exactly the same time as knee bending, or 100% before. Thanks guys

How no one else thought of that handle before you is a tragedy. Well done.

Hips and knees break at the same time. Hips flex and go back, knees flex and go forward/outward together. How much you lean over (back angle) will be determined by how you're built (anthropometry) and where you're able to keep your center of mass over its center of balance. If you find yourself on your toes a lot, or knees sliding forward excessively, you're likely not leaned over enough.

Good luck with your beet crop this year.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 02-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica, hip hinging.

Why do we not hinge at the knees? The elbows?

It looks like I answered my own question looking at the book again. The knees stop moving forward 1/3-1/2 of the way down in the squat. This is also the point where the hips start going straight down and the knees only bend after this point. Thanks

The ankles? Wrists? Hinging. As you WOD in your box. Intuits well.

If one looks at both my quotes and the context, I was talking about the hip and knees hinging relative to one another, and not any other joints. Of course the ankles and wrists hinge. Other muscles, tendons, and joints are active in the squat too. I was asking because I had a back injury from rounding my back and failing a rep. It was a 4-6 week strain. Coming back slowly, making sure my back is locked, and learning the hip hinge. My motor pathway was really bad. I had issues with squat/deadlift/rdl....all involving the hinge. I've got it down now. Thanks to everyone for the replies Essentially the lower back position never changes. I was pushing my butt back, which unlocked my abs. If you are having problems with your lower back rounding, relearn the hinge and make sure you aren't pushing your butt back! They aren't the same thing

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, hinging! It intuits well.