Quote Originally Posted by elievan View Post
    Session 19:
    SQ: 240lb x 5 x 3 (5lb increase)
    BP: 160lb x 5 x 3 (5lb increase)
    DL: 255 x 5 x 1 (10lb increase)

Session 20:

SQ: 245lb x 5 x 3 (5lb increase)
    Press: 125lb x 5 x 3 (0lb increase)
    Power Clean: 140lb x 5 x 3 (5lb increase)
    Chin Ups: 7,5,5

Woohoo. Finished all 3 sets of those presses which I failed last week. They were still faking tough, but got through them. I think part of the failure was very mental last week, I did that workout in a different gym and it just all felt off. I can't wait to press a plate.

Chin ups and pull ups are moving up pretty well, got an extra 4 in today compared to last time.

Also, I got on the scale today for the first time in a long time. I was frustrated when I first started this program cause I was eating a lot and not getting heavier. Today I weighed in at 204lbs! Fuck yeh! Flew past 200... I feel and look a lot stronger now. Lets keep it rolling.

Ideally I'd like to weigh 205lbs. So I'll see how my weight progresses in the next few weeks. I don't mind putting on some more weight, and then dropping the fat at the end of SS.
    Yo man. I don't think it's a problem if you want to do some extra pullups at the end of the session. Just realize, it might slightly impede your recovery, especially when you're dead-lifting every other workout. Perhaps you could alternate between chin days and pullup days, or do your pullups on the last day of the week, prior to having 2 days off. Then again, I am pretty horrible at scheduling full A workouts and B workouts, so I might not be the guy you want to listen to.

starting strength coach development program
    So I've begun to move away from the strict programming of SS. I was amazed at my linear gains, and think I could have sustained them for longer (I didn't even reset once), but I now want to move away from pure strength, and yes, to a more gpp fitness program like crossfit (then reason i found this program in the first place).

My goal has always been to become well rounded, strong definitely, but also fit. I'll definitely miss the amazing strength gains I've attained week after week, but hope to still be able to gain, even though it will be slower.

I'm trying to think up the programming, but its not easy. Ultimately, I'd like to do a strength lift 2 days a week, and more cardio 3 times a week. By cardio, I mean combining high rep air squats, pushups, pull ups and running into high intensity workouts.

I've been thinking something like this (If anyone has any suggestions please chime in):

Monday:
    Heavy Squats
    Heavy Press
    Heavy DL

Tuesday:
    short (15min or less) crossfit type workout

Wednesday:
    Slow 3mile run.

Thursday:
    Heavy Squat
    Heavy Bench Press
    Heavy Power Clean

Friday:
    Longer crossfit workout (30min or so)

I know there is a good chance I wont recover enough to lift heavy, this is one of my main concerns. I've thought about just following the crossfit WOD, but I would like to lean more towards strength still, at least for a while longer.

Either way, here were my gains while on a very strict SS routine (all 5x3).

SQ: 165 --> 265 (100lb gain)
    Bench Press: 115 --> 175 (60 lb gain)
    Dead Lift: 165 --> 265 (100lb gain)
    Press: 85 --> 125 (40lb gain)
    Power Clean: 90 --> 140 (50lb gain)

This isn't the end of this log by a long shot, but I just wanted to throw out a thanks to Rip and everyone in this community - getting into a program like this for the last 2 months has really changed me for the better, and I look forward to continuing to be a useful and strong(er) addition to society late into my life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123