starting strength gym
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongdaniel becomes an adult male.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As per your questions:

1) Squat cleans should be fine; I think power cleans are more typical for non-O lifters only because they are easier to learn.

2) I think that the real problem with you bench is your warmup programming. A more typical Starting Strength warmup would go:

45x2x5
    95x4
    135x3
    160x1 or 2

This gets you warm without wearing you out before your work sets.

3) 3 days a week is usually an efficient balance of workload/volume and recovery time, but everyone comes to lifting with their own individual capacities for recovery. You may find that a different pattern works better for you, but it might also make for slower progress.

PostWO meal. Bacon Cheeseburgers slathered in mayo, ketchup and vietnamese chili sauce, served with bacon and sauteed garlic.

24 oz whole milk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post
    As per your questions:

1) Squat cleans should be fine; I think power cleans are more typical for non-O lifters only because they are easier to learn.

2) I think that the real problem with you bench is your warmup programming. A more typical Starting Strength warmup would go:

45x2x5
    95x4
    135x3
    160x1 or 2

This gets you warm without wearing you out before your work sets.

3) 3 days a week is usually an efficient balance of workload/volume and recovery time, but everyone comes to lifting with their own individual capacities for recovery. You may find that a different pattern works better for you, but it might also make for slower progress.
    Thanks for the quick feedback.

I will:

1. Continue with Squat Cleans (perhaps mix in some power clean's for nostalgia's sake)
    2. use a smarter warmup (I'm finding my chest warmups respond some what differently then my leg warm ups).
    3. I will experiment with 3 days a week. If I am progressing, I'll stick with it. If I stall, I'll go back to 4 days a week (really an A workout and a B workout spread over 2 days)

Quote Originally Posted by strongdaniel View Post
    PostWO meal. Bacon Cheeseburgers slathered in mayo, ketchup and vietnamese chili sauce, served with bacon and sauteed garlic.

24 oz whole milk.
    Note: this is 3/4 lbs of beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Sounds good. We are at about the same level except I've been doing SS for 2 months to get mine.
    Sami, just read through your journal and noticed our numbers are shockingly similar. I am very impressed with the dedication with which you've attacked your weights and eating, and hope to match that kind of level.

-Daniel

I'm thinking of buying this belt:

What do you all think?

So, I'm going to try and transition to three days a week. I'm not sure if I can handle three full backsquat workouts per week, so I was thinking of doing 2 backsquat workouts and one front squat workout. Any thoughts about whether this is a good idea?

My 2 week cycle would look something like this:

Mon:
    Squats, Squat Cleans, Bench

Wed.
    Front Squats, Deadlifts, Press

Fri
    Squats, Squat Cleans, Bench

Mon:
    Squats, Deads, Press

Wed:
    Front Squats, Squat Cleans, Bench

Fri:
    Squats, Squat Cleans, Press

I would also try to work in pullups once a week.
    Thoughts?

I'm not sure if I can handle three full backsquat workouts per week, so I was thinking of doing 2 backsquat workouts and one front squat workout.
    That's the "advanced novice" program from SS. I transitioned to it a few weeks ago and it has worked well for me, but I'd give 3 days a week a shot before lowering your total weekly volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post
    That's the "advanced novice" program from SS. I transitioned to it a few weeks ago and it has worked well for me, but I'd give 3 days a week a shot before lowering your total weekly volume.
    Sorry for the misconception. I started out doing a bastardized version of SS, which was described to me by a friend. So I've been making linear progress the last two weeks doing only 2 workouts a week. Should I just do the same program I was doing, but now 3 days a week, or would I be a good candidate to do the advanced novice program?

<rereads the programming chapter>

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday Dec 3, 2009

Squats
    OHS
    Dowelx5
    12lb "body bar"x5

High Bar Warmup
    45x5
    135x5
    225x3

Low bar work sets---I've started to figure out how to hold my breath to create inter abdominal pressure. This is a major breakthrough for me, and even though my body is tired, that pressure is helping me power through my squat
    260x3
    260x5
    263x5 (pr)
    263(2)-------to bring it to 15 reps.

Deadlift---My back felt super tight, and got progressively tired as I warmed up...too much work before my workset?
    Warmups on a slightly thicker bar than usual
    45x5
    135x5
    185x5
    235x3

Workset:
    255x5 (pr!)

Pullups
    5,5,5,5 (I'm getting worse at these, better at everything else)

My back is starting to get cut up/calloused from all this squatting. I think I will have to start wearing a sweat shirt, because the pain of the bar cutting open my back is not something I want to keep experiencing.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast