starting strength gym
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongdaniel becomes an adult male.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i've got scrapes and bruises all across my back from low-bar.

yes i think your DL warmups are too much. you are probably pretty warm from the squats, so I'd do just enough to prime the neurons for the upcoming set. e.g.

135x3
    185x2
    225x1
    workset

Just ordered 2" washers as my 1.25 lb fractional plates. These could prove useful, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    i've got scrapes and bruises all across my back from low-bar.

yes i think your DL warmups are too much. you are probably pretty warm from the squats, so I'd do just enough to prime the neurons for the upcoming set. e.g.

135x3
    185x2
    225x1
    workset

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

With regards to bruises, does wearing a sweat shirt help?

i dunno about the sweatshirt. i'm in the same boat as you. I may try a sweatshirt next workout and see how it goes.

I just culminated my first week doing the literal ss program.!

Saturday Dec 5 2009

squats

Highbar
    Ohsxdowelx5
    5x45
    5x135
    3x225
    Lowbar*work*sets
    265x5
    265x5
    265x5

Press
    45x5
    45x5
    65x5
    85x3
    110x5
    110x5
    110x5

squat cleans
    110x3
    110x3
    115x3

Quote Originally Posted by strongdaniel View Post

With regards to bruises, does wearing a sweat shirt help?
    I've never used a sweatshirt but I do wear thick cotton shirts just like the book says. Cool logos are required. If you are wearing a synthetic material you may be getting some sllipage that is causing the irritation. I also chalk the bar along with a light dusting on my hands. I have callouses on my back but they've never really bothered me. Women are especially impressed with back callouses.

Squat
    High Bar warmup
    DowelxOHSx5
    2x5x45
    5x105
    3x160
    2x215
    5x270 (PR!)
    5x270 (PR!!)
    5x270 (PR!!!)

Bench
    2x5x45
    5x95
    3x135
    2x175
    5x195
    5x200 (PR)
    4x200 (The bar was still creeping up on rep 5, when my spotter helped me get it the rest of the way up--I think I could have gotten it, without spotter interference).

Deadlift
    2x5x100 (using fatgripz)
    3x150
    2x225
    5x265 (right hand facing out for the first three, right hand facing in for the last 2)

Notes:

Squat:
    -Throughout my squat warm up and worksets, I felt a bad pain where my groin meets my left hip. This pain did not go away.
    -Squat felt very very close to the limit of what I could do. I was completely out of breath and the end of the sets, and felt my form somewhat breaking down. Squatting 270x5---this was the first time the mental part played almost as big a role as the physical aspect of moving the weight.
    -My right leg toward the fifth rep of the second set and the third rep of the third set, started to shake uncontrollably. This has never happened before and I found it somewhat scary.

Bench:
    -I made a pretty boneheaded mistake. Loaded up an extra ten on the left side of the bar, and ended up trapped under it. With me pushing with all my might, my spotter got the bar off my chest.
    -The rest of the sets were fine. Next time I go, I am confident I can hit 3sx5rx200. I am excited to be past the 200 mark for worksets.

Deadlift
    -No complaints. The fat gripz really work the grip and I am excited to integrate them for warm up sets.
    -My final deadlift, even though it was a pr, felt easier compared to other deadlifts I've been doing. One aspect might have been the reduced warmup ( for deadlifts, I was doing way too much work before my workset). But I also suspect that my form is improving on the deadlift. Holding my breath during reps is giving me a much bigger base of support.

Weight belt should come in the mail any day now. I am beyond stoked!

Post workout meal:
    25 grams of whey.
    A feast of veal cutlets, a giant buttered chunk of french bread, and anchovies.

Question for the forum crew: any suggestions on why my right leg is shaking and why my left hip/groin is sore? And is it safe to work through the groin pain?

Probably shakes because it's at the limit, some people just shake.

As far as the groin pain, I had this. It was because my knees were sliding forward at the bottom (well, they were going forward for the entire descent). After fixing this, the pain went away and hasn't come back. I'd probably drop the weight by 5-10% and focus on bringing your knees forward in the first 1/3 of the descent and keeping them there until the last 1/3 of the ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Probably shakes because it's at the limit, some people just shake.

As far as the groin pain, I had this. It was because my knees were sliding forward at the bottom (well, they were going forward for the entire descent). After fixing this, the pain went away and hasn't come back. I'd probably drop the weight by 5-10% and focus on bringing your knees forward in the first 1/3 of the descent and keeping them there until the last 1/3 of the ascent.
    If the groin pain comes back I will do the reset and take that advice.

This morning I woke up, I felt fine. Perhaps the groin pain was a one time thing from my last workout?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for the hiatus.

Some updates will follow.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast