starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mrp's ss log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks. Other than last week I've felt pretty good about my progress so far. Hopefully I can keep up the gains. I've noticed the difference in my body composition as well. Not as pudgy as before, starting to firm up. Still though seeing the scale at 264 today was a little shocking. But I'm trying to tell myself that as long as it is coming with some re-composition and strength then who cares.

Default 12/31/09

Squat
    WU: 45x5x2; 135x5; 185x3; 225x2
    WS: 265x5x3

Bench Press
    WU: 45x5x2; 95x5; 115x3; 135x2
    WS: 180x5x3

Everything went up pretty well. Nothing to complain about except I didn't lift yesterday so I moved it to today. I really need to look hard at my recovery. I'm definitely not getting enough sleep. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the calories but need to make sure to look harder at my protein. And stay away from fast food so much, makes me feel drained.

So Happy New Year's Eve everyone!!

Default 1/2/10

Squat
    WS: 275x5x3

Press
    WU: 45x5x2; 65x5; 75x3; 95x2
    WS: 125x5x3

Deadlift
    WU: 135x5; 185x5; 205x3; 255x2
    WS: 300x5 *PR* (back to double overhand grip)

Everything felt pretty good today. Hard to start today, 3 degrees and a small space heater in the garage still make for a cold start. Its gonna be like this all week though so I better get used to it.

Default 1/7/10

Squat
    WS: 285x5x3

Bench Press
    WU: 45x5x2; 95x5; 135x3; 165x2
    WS: 190x5x3

Squats were REALLY heavy today. Had to fight through them all. Rep 4 on my third set I started to lose balance forward on my toes and caught myself, and Rep 5 was very slow. I'm going to chalk it up to a crappy day because my warmups were feeling heavy too. I'm going to stick with 10lb jumps until I actually dump a set.

Bench felt pretty good for the most part. My first 2 sets felt a little heavy/off. I really concentrated on form on the last set and it went up really pretty easy. I'm debating on taking another 10 lb jump on this (would be my 3rd 10lb jump).

Really need to figure out why I've been so tired lately. I skipped my Monday workout. Pretty much just ate dinner and went to bed after I got home from work. Moved yesterdays to today as I had to hit the grocery store for a bunch of meat. Was crazy at the store to because we had a storm move through last night and dumped about 5" of snow. Ate some 70's big country fried steaks last night. Delicious. Well time to go make some pork chops for tonight.

Excellent progress in such a short time. Just curious, did your elbow pain go away? Was there anything you did to alleviate it?

Thanks, I've been a little down on myself about missing the training days that I have. But looking back I have made some pretty good progress. My first goals are a 1 wheel press, 2 wheel bench press, 3 wheel squat and 365lb deadlift. I wasn't that confident about deadlifts when I started but the progress I've made by doing them the way Rip teaches has surprised me. In High School Football lifting that was my weakest lift. I squatted (high bar, parallel) mostly and then did a little bench. I have to say I am loving the Low Bar squat. It is much more comfortable on the back and I know from the book that I am training more muscles.

I'm still having some pain in my left elbow during my sets. Nothing that lasts afterwards anymore. After I widened my grip it seems to be fine. Although when I consciously tighten my back and work on elbows up it seems to be even less of pain.

Thumbs down 1/11/10

BAD DAY TODAY

So I warmed up on my squat and loaded it to my WS of 295lbs. The first set was hard but ok. The second set I got one rep then got stuck in the hole on the second rep. So I go to dump it and it rolls down my back onto the pins. I haven't practiced dumping squats yet. I didn't feel any pinching or anything, but it felt a bit sore after it rolled down my back so I just stopped for the day. We'll see tomorrow morning if I was just a wuss or if I did the right thing stopping. I doubt I need a reset yet. I haven't been sleeping the greatest and have been stressed at work and not eating the way I should either. So yeah.

Looks like I should have manned up and at least done my Presses and Deadlifts. Back on it tomorrow. Going to try to get what I missed on Monday.

Default 1/18/10

BWT: 263 Est bf% 25

Squat
    WS: 290x0 / 275x5x3

Press
    WU: 45x5x2; 65x5; 75x3; 95x2
    WS: 130x5x3

Deadlift
    WU: 135x5; 185x5; 225x3; 255x2
    WS: 310x1

Warmups on squat felt fine. Got to the bottom of 290 and yeah...just stayed there. I de-loaded to 275 and finished all my work sets, but they were still difficult. I don't know if I need to de-load from there or what. I'm definitely going to only go 5lb jumps now.

Presses felt really strong today. No complaints at all there. Next session will be 135 - my initial training goal for this lift.

Deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts.......... Warmups felt good here too. Go to do 310 and the first one goes up hard, but ok. Rep 2 nada. Combo grip nada. So I just left it there.

I know I have been not recovering well. I don't know if the past few weeks have been me overtrained or what. I know that last week though my energy level was that of a bear in hibernation. I'm getting some protein supplements by Wednesday so I'll see if that helps. I really don't think I need to up my calories. I'm pretty certain I'm at least in the 4000cal range before milk. Although I haven't geen on GOMAD consistently. So I'm open to all suggestions on recovery/deloading.

Default 1/20/10

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    WS: 280x5x3

Bench Press
    WU: 45x5x2; 95x5; 135x3; 165x2
    WS: 195x5x3

Squats felt pretty good. Really focused on knees out. The last set was slow coming out of the hole though. I need to work on the stretch reflex/bounce out of the hole.

Bench was pretty good. The last 2 reps of set 3 were pretty difficult. First time I can remember bench being real hard.

So in an attempt to figure out why recovery was bad the past few weeks, I've dedicated to GOMAD. Before I was barely doing GOMAD on workout days and lucky to do Half GOMAD on recovery days. So GOMAD no matter what!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast