starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Cavin's SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Because until recently I was having no trouble squatting and DL every time.

Today i'll be switching to either power cleans or some back extensions/GHR.

I just don't think I was lifting enough weight until recently for it to affect my recovery. As I near the 300 mark in DL that is starting to change, lol.

I was concerned about recovering from DL every other workout, so I alternate PC's and DL on my "A" days. I guess that's the difference between being 23 and 36!

1/2/2010 - 220lbs PR

Squats (PR)220x3x5 - Easy
    Bench Press (PR)175x3x5 - Easy
    Back Extensions BWx3x8 - No DL tonight. Back is a little pissed from my last workout.
    ================================================== ===
    Squats - These went well. I've switched to 5lb progression and I feel much better about my technique. Still a challenge, but I never thought I wasn't going to be able to finish.

Bench Press - I was feeling particularly strong on bench press today so I went up 10lbs instead of the normal 5. I figured if it was hard I would just go back down. Every set was exceptionally easy. Not sure why. Maybe some muscle memory from all my old workouts. I'll be keeping it at 5 from now on unless I just feel really good again.

Summary - A good workout that didn't last too long. I managed to hit a personal record with my body weight, Squats, and Bench Press. It don't get much better than that.

I had some concerns about my "gut" and how I should go about losing it since my uniforms might object to all the button bullying. I liked Mr. City's approach to my thread so i've decided that i'll just keep doing my 70's Big thing and they'll just have to get me a uniform whether or not they like it.

Great work James!

Now that DLs are getting heavy you may think about alternating with PCs.

Keep it up, man!

Thanks Geoff!

I'll definitely be alternating with PC from now on.

I feel like i'm going to need my 3 days off for recovery for the first time. I'm still feeling a little beat up today, but nothing like yesterday. That's a good sign, imo.

That just means i'm starting to lift heavy shit.

So I was supposed to come back to my lifting tomorrow...

But, I went to a fundraiser that my wife and her company had at a newly opened skating rink.

I haven't rollerbladed in years and it showed. I aggravated my back on my last DL workout and it seemed to be healing fine.

Unfortunately, I fell on my ass twice really hard tonight and managed to piss off my back in the process. Both times I fell I could feel the muscles in my back tense up right after I got a little shot of pain through them.

Oh well. Hopefully i'll feel better by Wednesday so I can get a workout in.

I'll be getting back to my workouts today.

My back is feeling a ton better, but it is still a little light. Because of that, i'll be working on my power cleans and keeping it light until next week.

Btw, am I the only one that feels like a piece of shit if he has to miss a workout?

We've got a lot of ice and snow here for the last week and I decided last night that I wasn't going to miss it again, regardless of the weather. I'll be driving on at least an inch of ice all the way to the gym, but dammit i'm gonna get there.

01/07/2009 - 218lbs

Squats (PR) 225x3x5 - Easy.
    Press (PR) 125x3x5 - Hard.
    Powercleans 75x3x5 -Felt like I had vertigo or something.
    ================================================
    Squats: I finally got a belt since my back has been hurting a little bit for the last week. It is only a placeholder until I can afford a good one, but it got the job done.

The first thing I noticed was that the weight felt lighter. Then, I realized I am not used to squatting in a belt. For some reason, I felt like my form was way off. I'll have to start doing even my warmups with the belt on so I can get used to it.

Press: Fucking hard last night. I'm going to be switching to 2.5# progressions from now on.

Powercleans: Only went up to 75# because my form sucked. I'm going to be doing a LOT more work on the technique before I think about doing any real weight. If only I could get it to look and feel as good as when the bar is empty...

Summary: Squats were awkward, press was hard, and powercleans made me feel like wuss. But, they'll get better. I'll have to start doing all my squats(even warmups) with the belt. Otherwise I don't think i'll get used to them.

I think my press suffered because I attempted to narrow my grip on the bar. I've been doing them with a wider grip because of shoulder inflexibility. Not sure what i'll be doing with this one yet. I'll have to review the book and video before my next workout.

Powercleans were a hell of a lot of fun once I figured it out. The biggest obstacle will be transitioning from an empty bar to a weighted one and keeping my form in order.

Quick update.

Bad week. Have had some family stuff goin' on and haven't been able to lift, eat, or sleep like normal.

I'll resume my lifting this week hopefully. Need to get a full night's rest first though.

I'm not sure if i'll just repeat my last workout or deload 10%. Feeling really puny due to lack of sleep and piss-poor diet.

I feel like i'm turning into one of the impending zombie attackers. Get strong to fight off zombies only to be turned into one. I need to go look up the definition of irony now.

starting strength coach development program
    01/13/2010

Squats 225x3x5
    Bench Press (PR) 180x3x5
    Deadlift (PR) 270x1x5
    =================================
    Squats: Decided to repeat my last workout because I had been feeling really weak and fatigued all week. All my sets went great until I put that belt on. I think the problem is that since i've never used one before I focused on the belt way too much and didn't focus on my knees, hip drive, looking down, etc. The weight felt REALLY light though. I'll be using the belt even on my warmups from now on. Have to get used to it.

Bench Press: I actually did the normal 5# increase on bench. It had been more than one week since I last did bench press, but I knew that I could do it. And I did. The only thing I noticed was that the bar slowed down just a smidge on the last rep of the last 2 sets. My chest is frickin' sore now too. That's what I get for neglecting it for a week straight.

Deadlift: Went up 5# on these too. By the time I started to do my DL, I forgot all about feeling like crap for the last week. I was feeling strong and enjoying lifting. I only did 5 because I didn't want to overdo it, but i'll be switching back to 10# next workout. The belt helped a bunch with these. They were heavy, but I lifted them pretty easily. I can't seem to stop the Austrian grunts that escape from my mouth on every rep either. They just happen and it seems to help.

Summary: After feeling like shit for a week from poor diet, lack of sleep, and general fatigue, this workout went WAY better than I had anticipated. I ate 4 peanut butter sandwiches and a full gallon of milk before I even left work to help compensate. Maybe it helped.

I don't know why I felt so much better after my workout. In fact, I feel better today than I have in over a week. Even though my upper and lower back and chest are sore as shit. Maybe I was a little sick and I didn't know it. I rarely get REAL sick.

I'll be using my belt from now on, even during warmup sets. I have to get used to it because I can already tell it will help a ton during my squats and deadlifts.

Also, i'll be cutting down to 1/2 gallon of milk from now on. In its place i've added lots of chicken breast and canned tuna for the protein. I like my current weight (218 last time I checked) and I would like to get a lot stronger at this weight before I add more. I predict that by this summer i'll be pushing for 240, but we'll see. It might be sooner, lol.
    Last edited by JCavin; 01-14-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast