starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: James Cavin's SS Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Updated.

Twice, actually. Fuck the backspace button.

01/15/10 - 223lbs (PR)

Squats (PR) 230x3x5
    Press (PR) 130x3x5
    Back Extensions BWx10,10,10
    Chins BWx5,5,4
    ================================================== ===
    Squats: Once again, I had a little bit of trouble with the belt. At this point I am fairly certain it is just an issue of becoming used to it. I say that because the first 2 of my worksets were harder than usual, but only because my form was off. On my 3rd set I must have forgotten about the belt because they were all easy as crap. I'll keep working on it.

Press: These felt really good last night. I've brought my hands in a little bit on the bar and been focusing on keeping my elbows under it. This helped me out a lot last night and I felt like I was starting to actually "get it." This was a PR for me, but i'm most excited about my next press workout. I'll be coming off a 2 day rest and i'll be putting a 45# plate on each side. That's a nice benchmark for me.

Summary: All-in-all, a good workout. I felt kinda weak all day again because I didn't drink as much milk or eat as many peanut butter sandwiches beforehand. Won't make that mistake again. I was having a problem with wanting to throw-up every time I burped. It was gross.

As for the rest of the gym shennanigans, refer to my thread in Ends and Pieces. Lots of "gymrat" goodness.

A 1 plate press, Nice

12/18/10

Squats (PR) 235x3x5
    Bench Press (PR) 185x3x5
    Deadlift (PR) 280x1x5
    ===========================================
    Squats: I'm finally getting used to the belt. I think that I was possibly wearing it a little too loose before. I tightened it up and was able to squat without any problems. Well, other than the fact that it felt heavy as shit tonight.

Bench Press: These felt good. I think my last rep on my last set slowed down just a bit, but i'll chalk it up to lack of sleep and fatigue for now.

Deadlift: Set a new PR last night. Although i'm still not technically lifting over the 300 mark, I feel like I probably could for 1 rep. That makes me happy in pants.

I'll be switching to a 5# increase for my next workout since every rep of the 5 felt like a 1 rep max. Lack of sleep is a bitch.

Summary: Hard workout tonight. I ate like I was supposed to, but I only got about 5 hours of sleep. I should have compensated for the missed sleep with some extra food, but I was feeling really good all day so I didn't think there would be a problem. I was wrong. I just felt really tired after my squats.

Looking forward to my next workout. I'll be pressing a 45# plate tomorrow and i'm excited. I'll have to make sure I get enough sleep and food for fuel tomorrow.

01/20/2010 - (PR) 225lbs

Squats - (PR) - 240x3x5
    Press - (PR) - 135x3x5
    Back Extensions - BWx10,10,10
    Chins - BWx5,5,4
    ===============================================
    Squats: These have been pretty hard the last couple workouts. With the addition of the belt and such, I think i'm having some form issues that i'll need to deload and fix. If I can't get them fixed with the belt, I may end up just saying fuck it to using a belt. Don't really know what else to do.

Press: These felt really good. I only had problems with the last rep of the second and third work sets. I think it was a form issue rather than a strength one, though. 1 plate on each side. Awesome.

Summary: Gonna probably deload 10 or 15% for my next workout and work on my form. Not really sure yet.

Had some problems this week. Won't go into them, but suffice it to say they've kept me from doing anything productive, even drinking GOMAD or sleeping much.

Everything appears to be good today. GOMAD, peanut butter, sleep, etc...

I'll be deloading my squats about 15lbs because according to my notes, 225 was the last time my squats felt good w/ good form. I'll post my workout tomorrow.

What problems are you having with the belt? I just started using a belt last week, and decided to deload to get used to using it, and my new shoes.

If it is a new leather belt there is a video on 70's Big where Rip shows how to break it in. It worked like a charm on my EFS Retro belt. The belt feels a lot better now that it is broken in.

It also took a few tries to find a comfortable position for the belt to ride where it wouldn't interfere with my hips or ribs. Once you find the sweet spot the belt feels really good to squat in. I can't deadlift in it though.

starting strength coach development program
    02/05/2010 - (PR) 232.8lbs

Squats - 230x3x5
    Bench Press - 185x3x5
    Back Extensions - BWx3x10
    Pullups - BWx3x4
    ===========================================
    I only thought I was gonna be able to keep my workouts going last week. Oops. Shouldn't have forgotten about the massive snow storm that hit us. We ended up with 1 inch of ice and then 8 inches of snow on top of it. That is a LOT of snow and ice for our area. Everything closed down for a good while. Even grocery stores. Which meant no milk. Which meant I wanted to kill someone.

Oh yeah, and I also wasn't able to refill my adderall prescription. I didn't think they were closed until the day I was going to go get some more. After 2+ years of taking a stimulant for your CNS, it is hell trying to function when you are forced to stop it abruptly. All I wanted to do was sleep for 3 days straight.

So, after these hiccups, I started drinking my milk again and got back in the gym. I lowered all my lifts just a little because I knew I would be weak from not drinking my GOMAD and eating like I should have. I was right.

I knew I was well rested, therefore the problem had to be in my diet. I ramped it up big time and came back for my next workout(yesterday) and felt really good. Not only that, but I didn't even have problems with my belt. All good.

-------Don't read the next few paragraphs if you are grossed out by poop----
    The problem i'm having now is that i'm pretty sure I have a stomach bug. I crapped a total of 12 times yesterday. I was really scared I might shit myself while doing squats, so I spent the first 20 minutes at the gym making sure there was nothing left to squeeze out.

Oh, and I work in a jail. That means we buy everything in bulk. And that includes toilet paper. For those of you who haven't heard it before, this shit is definitely John Wayne toilet paper. Why? Because it's tough as hell and it won't take shit off nobody. Every wipe started to come away with as much pink and red as green...

Knowing that I had to workout anyways, I ate like a mother fucker despite the fact that my stomach was cramping constantly and I felt like my sphincter had been clenched for 12 hours straight. It paid off.

Today i'm still having stomach cramps, but at least I don't have swamp ass as bad. I've been eating like crazy today too, so that's good.

One last thing.

One of the trainers from my gym appears to know what he's doing. Although i've heard he's one of the biggest douchebags known to man, he was doing real squats. 455 with no belt or gear. That's pretty good. Apparently he's training for a powerlifting meet up here in the near future.

I was told that my "contract" included 2 free sessions with any of the trainers. I might have to use them to get some advice on my lifts. If I do, i'll be sure to write about it, especially if he turns out to be as big of a douchebag as i've heard.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234